Can't Find Simple Part - Out of Commission for Almost Two Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Find Simple Part - Out of Commission for Almost Two Weeks

Had a slow transmission leak that ate away at the front left sway bar bushing.
    C360_2012-10-19-17-56-38 cropped.jpg
    Mechanic buddy tacked down the leak but the problem is we can't find the hunk of rubber that goes in there around the sway bar anywhere.
    Are we using the right term? Anyone know a source?
    1989 Festiva L worklog/photojournal: http://imgur.com/a/I4DV5
    Every day it gets from point A to point B is a victory.

That picture scares the crap out of me. Get some energy suspension bushings. Grind the poly to fit the festiva's bracket. Do not use the ES bracket because it will move.

Comment

They do exist and someone here can or will enlighten you (hopefully). I'll be watching this post as my sway bar could use new ones too. Might as well replace both while you're at it. On the other hand if you're stuck I would think some sort of hard rubber wrap or maybe 1 inch ID (inside dia) ABS pipe (which will have to be split) will suffice.

Comment

Do this:
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...y-bar-bushings
        2011 Kia Forte Koup
        2007 Sea-Pro 196 CC with Mercury Verado 150hp
        1993 Ford Bronco 351/E4OD
        1988 Festiva L 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by purg3d View Post
          That picture scares the crap out of me. Get some energy suspension bushings. Grind the poly to fit the festiva's bracket. Do not use the ES bracket because it will move.
          Is there something I can get that's more OEM for right now? I'm paying someone for labor (I've never worked on a car in my life) and time is an issue now. I just need my wheels on the road.

Comment

I don't know how far apart you are but I'd try getting ahold of Eurotiva.
            Last edited by zoom zoom; 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I would like to know what happened to the old one. I didn't think they could disintegrate and pop out so easily. Is it true transmission fluid can eat it up?
              Last edited by bravekozak; 10-30-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Their website says there are a BUNCH of O'Reilly's in Florida. They can have this there even special order by tomorrow
                Last edited by TheresGabe; 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                  I don't know how far apart you are but I'd try getting ahold of Eurotiva.
                  South Florida vs. Central Florida. Not next-door but really only an afternoon's drive if it comes to that.

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  I would like to know what happened to the old one. I didn't think they could disintegrate and pop out so easily. Is it true transmission fluid can eat it up?
                  I had seen the bushing twice in the past seven months. The first time I saw it, it was more or less solid, but dripping with transmission fluid from when the hose at the base of the radiator split from age/overtightening and sprayed everything with the stuff.

The second time I saw it was four months later when I got under there (brave, I know) to tighten the hose again because of a bad drip that had developed. That second time the bushing looked as if it had been attacked by ants. I filed that in the back of my brain as being due to age and something I’d have to take care of around the start of next year when I plan to go full time on the car. Being so car illiterate is frustrating!

Took the car in to a mechanic for steering pull and rattling front driver’s side, and the bushing was simply not there anymore. The LCA that side doesn’t have a bushing anymore either, probably from when it got sprayed.

Originally posted by TheresGabe View Post
                  Their website says there are a BUNCH of O'Reilly's in Florida. They can have this there even special order by tomorrow
                  http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...+non-greasable
                  Site's giving me crap but it's looking like this is my only bet to get running anytime soon. I’m slowly finding out no one makes the front to frame bushing anymore. There aren't any close to me but I'll investigate them more when I'm not at work, thanks for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by Plutocracy View Post

I had seen the bushing twice in the past seven months. The first time I saw it, it was more or less solid, but dripping with transmission fluid from when the hose at the base of the radiator split from age/overtightening and sprayed everything with the stuff.

The second time I saw it was four months later when I got under there (brave, I know) to tighten the hose again because of a bad drip that had developed. That second time the bushing looked as if it had been attacked by ants. I filed that in the back of my brain as being due to age and something I’d have to take care of around the start of next year when I plan to go full time on the car. Being so car illiterate is frustrating!

Took the car in to a mechanic for steering pull and rattling front driver’s side, and the bushing was simply not there anymore. The LCA that side doesn’t have a bushing anymore either, probably from when it got sprayed.
                    !
                    You came to the right place. Someone here will steer you in the right direction to help you out with part numbers and suppliers, and seeing as to where you live, maybe even offer to help. She'll be back on the road 'good as new' in a bit. Don't be looking for freebies (labour-wise) but there are decent folks down your way (I keep forgetting that Florida is a 'really big town') that are intimately familiar with Festys. Maybe while you're not looking a B6 or an 8 will suddenly appear in the engine bay round about the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                      Maybe while you're not looking a B6 or an 8 will suddenly appear in the engine bay round about the same time.
                      From whut I hear tell bout them Florida chaps, is thats you have to keep a keerful eyeball on your exhaust, cuz turbos sprout from them things like nobodies bidness. Must be the salt in the air...
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

RhodeStiva posted this find: from JC Whitney- Swaybar frame bushings, SKU# 1JA584251 , mfr# 17624; replacesE8BZ5A486A & F4BZ5A486A. $23.99. Don't know if they will work, worth callin' to find out. Good luck!!
                        Last edited by navdoc101; 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM.
                        If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

I had some trouble finding ones to fit my 2000 Workhorse step van. I found them by size on the Moog site and then had O Reillys order them. Try this Moog link and see if it helps.

Also found this at JC Whitney, says it fits my 92 GL. Edit: Opps looks like that is the end bushings not the ones you need.

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Festivame
                          Last edited by Festivame; 10-30-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
                            RhodeStiva posted this find: from JC Whitney- Swaybar frame bushings, SKU# 1JA584251 , mfr# 17624; replacesE8BZ5A486A & F4BZ5A486A. $23.99. Don't know if they will work, worth callin' to find out. Good luck!!
                            I'm stunned. That seems to be it. The shipping turnaround is a bit of a pain but hope is hope. Thanks all! Hopefully they don't have to be shaved down too much and spare my mechanic some headache.

(Rare Parts Inc, I chuckled)
                            Last edited by Plutocracy; 10-30-2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Worst case I think i have a couple of used OEM ones that you can have for the cost of shipping...
                              2011 Kia Forte Koup
                              2007 Sea-Pro 196 CC with Mercury Verado 150hp
                              1993 Ford Bronco 351/E4OD
                              1988 Festiva L 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X