Noisey lifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisey lifter

My 91 has a noisy lifter after it sits for a few days. It goes away after it warms up. I am going to be taking off the valve cover to replace it's leaking gasket. Is there anything I can do in there to silence the lifter short of taking the valve train apart? I don't know which lifter it is at this point.

Change the oil unless you already have recently.

Comment

have had several festiva with noisey valve train. the lifters have extreamly small passages and the slightest dirt cloggs them.

try a fresh oil change with a bunch of seafoam, let it idle for 20 minutes then change oil and filter . if that doesnt work replace the lifters. since they are in the rocker arm you dont have to pull the engine apart to get to them. You can get a set on ebay for 40-50 bucks
      Last edited by NovaSS; 10-31-2012, 03:53 PM.
      money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

screw the seafoam. use diesel fuel. i put in 1-2 quarts in my crankcase before i oil change and just let it idle for a while. then drain. deisel is great and removing sludge and gunk.

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
          screw the seafoam. use diesel fuel. i put in 1-2 quarts in my crankcase before i oil change and just let it idle for a while. then drain. deisel is great and removing sludge and gunk.
          Seafoam is like $6 and has more benefits than just fixing a noisy lifter... I'm a big proponent of letting the smoke fly with some seafoam!

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
          1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
          1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
          1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
          1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
          1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
          1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

New valve lash adjusters can bring much desired life back to a high mileage b3.

Comment

Working...
            X