Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of building a valve spring compressor tool....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking of building a valve spring compressor tool....

... that will allow you to remove valve springs while the head is on the car.

I have an old rocker shaft I can use so I don't scar up my good ones. I'm looking at making it to replace valve stem seals.

That said, what kind of seals does a B3 have? Just umbrella seals? Or are they posi-lock seals?
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

can't you just use this?

Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
      ... that will allow you to remove valve springs while the head is on the car.

I have an old rocker shaft I can use so I don't scar up my good ones. I'm looking at making it to replace valve stem seals.

That said, what kind of seals does a B3 have? Just umbrella seals? Or are they posi-lock seals?
      spring compressor like you describe already exsists. Its part of the original factory tool kit for the Tracer. Prefix for the kit is T88P-. Don't recall the base part number.

Also, seals are positive type. Seal installer is also part of the original tool kit.

ps - don't forget to air-up the cylinder before, so the valve doesn't drop into the cylinder.
      Last edited by FB71; 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I used a $9 compressor from harbor freight designed for just such a task. Works like a charm.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Would the valve drop out of reach if the piston was up?

Comment

Working...
          X