Valves and WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valves and WTF

Put on a new valve cover gasket yesterday. Everything under there looks good. Had to take off the throttle body and was wondering what the two hoses that connect to the bottom of it are for. Can I disconnect/reroute them?
    Attached Files
    HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
    "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

They are coolant hoses for some sensor.

Comment

If you rotate the engine the valve actuators (arms) at some point in their movement will let the valve cover clear and you do not have to remove the throttle body.

I believe those carry coolant to pre-heat the intake.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Valves and WTF

Yes they are supposed to preheat the TB, I think more specifically the IAC, on my KL I just looped the hoses so i don't have to mess with them everytime I pull the intake

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

There's supposedly a setting where you don't have to pull the TB. Possibly TDC on # 1 cyl. I shaved my TB for clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
            Yes they are supposed to preheat the TB, I think more specifically the IAC, on my KL I just looped the hoses so i don't have to mess with them everytime I pull the intake
            If that is so, shouldn't there have been coolant in there when I pulled it off?!?!
            I have to pull it again tonight to put on a better gasket. Do I need to burp those lines to make sure coolant is getting up there or should I loop them or what?
            HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
            "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

They're coolant lines to heat the TB so the throttle doesn't freeze open with ice buildup in colder climates. Unless you're up far north simply bypass it. That coolant circuit also runs the IACV
              1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
              High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
              Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Re: Valves and WTF

What's an IACV? Idle air control valve? Wouldn't that be a bad thing to mess with?
                "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

The coolant comes from an outlet on the bottom of the intake and into the IAC. Then, from the IAC it goes to the TB and then back into the coolant return pipe that runs above the transmission. Take the hose that runs out of the IAC and to the TB, and connect it directly to the return pipe. You will be leaving the IAC in the loop, but bypassing the TB. Or.....just leave it as is.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Yeah, Good old North Carolina, first in flight, where tobacco is considered a vegetable, and known for never ever having a single reported case of throttle body icing!
                    Last edited by iceracerdude; 11-01-2012, 08:20 PM.
                    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Awesome!
                      Thanks for the info! Haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Going to do it tomorrow along with new oil pan gasket.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
                      "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Routed the coolant hose out. New oil pan gasket didn't stop the leak :banghead:

Can a bigger throttle body fit on there?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
                        "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Working...
                        X