No announcement yet.

Oil pump replacement, unable to separate oil dipstick tube from old oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pump replacement, unable to separate oil dipstick tube from old oil pump

Hi there, can anyone help, a WF 1999 Festiva here, the 4 door model, 1.5 l Single overhead cam. Mine was leaking from the oil pan. I tried using Risslone Engine seals stop leak, didn't work. The leak kept happening. So today i've got the oil pan off and a new gasket waiting to go on. I wanted to change the oil pump too. I got the old oil pump off fine, but cannot separate the dipstick tube from the old oil pump to put on to the new one. I've tried turning the dip stick pipe with pliers but no luck no go! No matter what i try, i cant separate the tube from the oil pump! Because i cant get the dipstick tube off the old oil pump, i'm inclined to clean up the old oil pump and re-fit it with a new gasket and oil seal. Does anyone have experience with this? The new oil pump which i purchased on ebay brand new, does not come with it's oil dipstick tube thus you have to get the tube from the old one off then fit it on the new oil pump. Cheers, Jasco, Sydney, Australia.
    Last edited by niccage; 11-03-2012, 06:54 AM.

I use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel and cut into the old pump housing parallel to the dipstick tube being careful not to cut deep enough to damage the tube. Then I take a fat cold chisel and tap it into the slot made by the grinder until it either breaks a piece off the pump or spreads it enough to pull the tube out.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

^^^ What he said! The cutting wheel should be the 1/16 or 1/8 by 3 inch on the di grinder
      You guys probably have the same tools or something pretty close!!!
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Hahaha...how ironic. I just spent several hours yesterday fighting the exact same issue. I actually clamped a big Vicegrip on the metal ring thats welded to the tube. I twisted it to get it broke loose, then clamped on it very loosely just below the ring and used a hammer on the Vicegrip to drive the tube out.

Putting the tube back in the new pump was not much fun either. I used a punch and hammer on the same metal ring to drive it back down. By the time I got done, there was nothing left of that metal ring. I wasn't going to tell anyone, I was embarrased that I had problems with a dipstick tube, LOL.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Will remember that for next time, should get myself a vice for a DIY mechanic that would help. In that case, the old pump has been cleaned up and is going back in with a new gasket and oil pickup pipe also cleaned and new gasket. It's an extra car we have lying around so will continue to maintain it. Just out of interest, hear how good Ford Motors Australia provide support for the Festivas here... 3 weeks ago, I took it apart as there was an oil leak, i used Risslone OIl Seal leak stopper but no go didnt work, so i took it apart. When i found it was the engine sump leaking, i rang the local Ford dealer intending to order a new sump gasket (Sinclair Ford at Kingswood NSW). The dealer guy told me that the engine sump gasket part is obsolete and he recommended i get it from the USA to search on the net for it. And 3 weeks later, i did, and i have it now. Thanks guys. The next time i do a timing belt job i'll have the vice and all other equipment and will do the change over to the new pump.

Comment

Working...
          X