Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

every 2 years I need new lower control arms?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• every 2 years I need new lower control arms?????

I see the inside of the tires start to wear and I just buy them, $14 to $98 a side and they seem to only last 2 years or about 50 000k.

am I the only guy or not?

Not a big deal as I can change them in about 30 mins both sides.

no...need an alignment
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Yes, you are the only guy who changes LCAs due to tire wear.

Comment

You're probably buying Cdn Tire MotoMaster 12s for one thing. They're disgustingly short-lived as it is. Doing a backyard alignment is not rocket science. Mark the pavement via chalk and a piece of pipe across the tires front and back at the front wheels. This will give you a greatly exaggerated toe-in toe-out measurement. Then it's a simple thing to undo the tie rod lock nut and spin the inner tie rod either in or out. Relock (obviously) when you're satisfied. I'm a toe-in guy but others on this site allow for a slight bit of toe-out.

Comment

What effect does replacing the lower control arms have on your tire wear?
          Why do you assume they need replacing every two years?
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            What effect does replacing the lower control arms have on your tire wear?
            Why do you assume they need replacing every two years?
            believe he misspoke.....if you read his post....to me it is his tires he is replacing every two years,after he notices wear on them. He is asking if he needs to replace the LCA's. To which I replied he needs to get the car aligned....but I should have added that he needs to check the LCA's and tie rods for play before he gets the alignment.

figured you guys all being Canadian that you would understand the way each of you talk...eh.....lol...
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

The lower control arm houses a ball joint, this ball joint wears and causes the tires to point outward creating wear on the inner tread, I replace the LCA's and the alighnment goes back to normal and I get no wear on the inside.

It seems that about every 2 years my LCA"s need to be replaced and I ask if any of you have had this problem.?

Comment

For best results, I would use Moog LCAs. That's what I use for best results. The cheaper stuff may not last as long. DaveG has complained that some cheapie he bought only lasted a year or two.

If there are other high-quality brands out there, maybe someone else can post their ideas. I would use either Moog or those made in Korea, Japan or the U.S. instead of anywhere else.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

the last set looks to be made better than the others, I have seen them priced from $12 to $500 a side the fist time I needed them and now from $14 to $98 and the only ones I could get were $14 a side.
                  Not really a big problem with any of this as the price of LCA's and tires is less than half of just buying 1 tire for my jeep.

Comment

Rockauto has two Moogs, and also Raybestos Professional Grade LCAs. I'd go with those for $34, $30 and $28 each. I'd skip anything under the Raybestos unless it's a really good price for a temp solution or whatever.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[ID]=6bb79a8cce9450d81ecb2db2f7591be4&ck[idlist]=6bb79a8cce9450d81ecb2db2f7591be4

Control arm/ball joints are not a place to scrimp!

I don't know why all that crap appeared in the link. It only goes to Rockauto main page anyway, but I'm sure anyone can look it up from there.

Karl
                    Last edited by Safety Guy; 11-04-2012, 04:20 PM.
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Yes, right. Lower control arms cost more than $14-$98 a side. Must be tires he's replacing.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by bassman View Post
                        The lower control arm houses a ball joint, this ball joint wears and causes the tires to point outward creating wear on the inner tread, I replace the LCA's and the alighnment goes back to normal and I get no wear on the inside.

It seems that about every 2 years my LCA"s need to be replaced and I ask if any of you have had this problem.?
                        Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                        believe he misspoke.....if you read his post....to me it is his tires he is replacing every two years,after he notices wear on them. He is asking if he needs to replace the LCA's. To which I replied he needs to get the car aligned....but I should have added that he needs to check the LCA's and tie rods for play before he gets the alignment.

figured you guys all being Canadian that you would understand the way each of you talk...eh.....lol...
                        Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                        Yes, right. Lower control arms cost more than $14-$98 a side. Must be tires he's replacing.

Guess I read that wrong....lol...I do not know why he is having to replace them every 2 years. Other than he is getting them out of a cracker jack box.

Try some quality ones and get the car aligned....go from there.
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Moog FTW. I get around 50 75K HARD driving out of them. Not bad for the 35 price tag I pay for them.
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

It is my daily driver that I also deliver with so it sees all city driving on crappy roads.
                            This last set had wire holding the boots on unlike the worn set so maybe they are better quality ..... I also bought a grease needle and filled the boots with grease , maybe they get dry and wear faster??

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                              Moog FTW. I get around 50 75K HARD driving out of them. Not bad for the 35 price tag I pay for them.
                              Really? I am not understanding why anyone is having to "just change out the LCA's". I have never had to change them except for one I owned years ago.
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Working...
                              X