No announcement yet.

88 Festiva turns over, won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do the carb models have the fuel pump relay?

Comment

also do the carb models have the inertia switch?

Comment

You need to confirm that power to the disty, ICM and coil remain good
        when the key is in the crank position.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Battery is still good. Car is carbie and has no inertia switch.
          Tried to start car again and got nothing with the key in the start position. Tried again while wiggling the key and then the starter cranked the engine.
          Tried a few more times. The engine would crank but not start even after using starter fluid. Thinking maybe I have multiple issues. One being the ignition switch is worn to the point that contact is sometimes not being made to the starter. And since there is still no spark, that the new ICM may be faulty. Any thoughts?

Comment

My Festiva is now running. Turns out that the first replacement ICM was faulty. Because my Festiva is so old, there are no auto parts able to test the ICM. I used the instruction in this site as a guide to do my own testing. http://www.ehow.com/how_5485497_test...ol-module.html While my wife was cranking the engine I checked the negative side of the ICM with my multimeter. It was not switching on and off as a way of signaling the coil to release its charge to the distributor. I ordered a new ICM at this site for about $50 and free shipping. http://www.motorcityreman.com/ After installing the new ICM and spraying a little starter fluid into the carb it started on the first try and has run good for the last week. Thanks to all who contributed their ideas to help.

Comment

Wow, glad to here you got it! I hate it when new parts takes a great big bite out of the backside!!
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I spent about $280 in parts, not counting the battery that it needed anyway. The fortunate thing is that the gas savings I get compared to my F150 will pay me back in no time.

Comment

Working...
                X