Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im replacing an axle, think the circlip rolled out the groove, axle stuck. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im replacing an axle, think the circlip rolled out the groove, axle stuck. Now what?

The old one popped out okay, the new one slid in, I spun a bit to engage, then lightly tapped it in. Didn't go in all the way, so I thought if I tapped a little harder.... Trying to pry it out but the end isn't round, it has those 3 notches. Looks like it lacks an inch to go in.

My other thought is I got the wrong axle, maybe one with a different spline count.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

wrong axle... bet you have an auto axle
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Well that would suck, because I bought it from Rock Auto months ago, tossed the box. Waited to install it until I had to, and I ordered the right one I know.
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

time to count splines and diameter

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

What actually is the difference between an atx or mtx axle??

Comment

spline count/diameter of the inner CV

Comment

The outer and middle sections are the same but the inner section is longer, and apparently not the same configruation.
              I got one from a website which had the same part number for the manual and automatic transmissions which I only noticed
              after receving the wrong part for my manual transmission and checking the website to see what went wrong.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Well the problem is getting it out to count and size it.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

If worst comes to worst, the outer cv was the bad one on the old axle. If the inner IS auto and I DIDN'T screw up the splines in the tranny, I can clean out the old cv, regrease it, and swap it out.
                  2005 Accord - wife's DD
                  2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

The usual advice is to pull and rotate the axle while tapping on the inner joint housing. Some advocate using two pry bars offset 180 degrees. I've sat on the ground with one foot on the engine and rotated and jerked on the axle until it came out. Good luck.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I got the axle out. Used parts from a steering wheel puller and a 3 jaw puller to pull it out. Both had 22 splines, same length, think it was the circlip. Tried again, it went in with some taps.
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

interesting...

this reminds me of when we did axles at madness this year, i showed Scitzz how i pull the clip off and squish it to set deeper in the trough so that the sticking doesn't happen durring later removal.

Comment

I had to squish the clip some to get it in. I'll post pics tomorrow of my homemade tool.
                          2005 Accord - wife's DD
                          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            interesting...

this reminds me of when we did axles at madness this year, i showed Scitzz how i pull the clip off and squish it to set deeper in the trough so that the sticking doesn't happen durring later removal.

Are you sure that was me? I have done that for a while. Maybe someone else? Willy? I think I left before you got around to shoving that sucker in, LOL! Either way, yeah, I agree, if it doesn't just slip right in, don't force it, find a way to get it in easy....
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

What's that damn circlip for, anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X