NAPA offering NEW Festy brake drums for only $24.99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAPA offering NEW Festy brake drums for only $24.99

I was buying brake shoes and pistons today when the NAPA sales guy asked if I needed drums.

From what he said, these are NEW parts (obviously not OEM), but not used/turned ones. I ordered two to add to my stock of rusty used ones. Will get them Saturday.

QUESTION: What would a pair of new drums cost for a modern econobox car? a modern luxury car?
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Re: NAPA offering NEW Festy brake drums for only $24.99

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
    I was buying brake shoes and pistons today when the NAPA sales guy asked if I needed drums.

From what he said, these are NEW parts (obviously not OEM), but not used/turned ones. I ordered two to add to my stock of rusty used ones. Will get them Saturday.

QUESTION: What would a pair of new drums cost for a modern econobox car? a modern luxury car?
    BE WARNED. I bought a pair of NEW Aspire drums from NAPA ($100!), and both of them were off center bore, by almost a quarter inch! I can give you photo evidence if you need it. Just make sure to check the drums before you leave the store.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
      BE WARNED. I bought a pair of NEW Aspire drums from NAPA ($100!), and both of them were off center bore, by almost a quarter inch! I can give you photo evidence if you need it. Just make sure to check the drums before you leave the store.
      I've also received drums that were incorrectly manufactured. They were from Advanced Auto.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Make sure the brake shoes you buy aren't made of asbestos! If they are dirt cheap, then consider the possibility of them being made in China, and we all know how much the Chinese love their asbestos!

Comment

If NAPA is dumping it's on-hand inventory of Festy parts then you can be sure that next time around they will be special order or discontinued. FestivaMotorsport advertised with fire sale prices last fall only to get rid of as much stock as possible just before the business folded up.

Comment

Bert,

I had precisely that discussion with the gray-haired sales guy at NAPA. He expressed surprise that NAPA is still offering anything Festiva-specific. It may be time to stock up!
            88L black, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
              Bert,

I had precisely that discussion with the gray-haired sales guy at NAPA. He expressed surprise that NAPA is still offering anything Festiva-specific. It may be time to stock up!
              It would certainly do us all a favour for this site to collectively pitch for one or more prominent sources to maintain and keep an inventory of Festy parts. For instance there is an outfit called LMC Truck www.lmctruck.com that specializes in 80-96 Ford Broncos and pickups and their catalogue is pretty comprehensive to include all manner of oddball stuff. Just as to how many Festys there still are on the road and people buying parts for them remains to be seen but it would be a shame to have to start junking cars only because something like a ball joint, control arm or exhaust downpipe can no longer be had.

Comment

If someone has contact info for NAPA (something like VP Domestic Sales or Senior Business Development Manager), I'll craft and send a nice letter. I've been buying Festy parts from NAPA for 12 years and have running rust-free vehicles based on both coasts and in Los Anchorage.

BTW, the NAPA retail gray-hair I mentioned told me that my recent order of rear brake parts was coming from stock in Maine. He couldn't offer any explanation for there being significant stock there. I commented that some Harvard MBA "suit" type might have flunked Logistics 301.
                Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM.
                88L black, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

What we do have going in our favour is that these cars are still being made in S America and Iran, and relatively common in markets like the Phillipines where cars don't rust and people hang on to them longer. Could be Junspeed has an opportunity to 'niche market' on behalf of Festys. I'm sure he'd be able to sell a couple of dozen lower control arms for every side skirt or spoiler order.

Comment

Rockauto has Centric Premium drums for Festiva for $13.21 each plus $8.65 shipping for two. Total would be around $34.00 shipped per pair if you use the 5% discount. They also have Raybestos PG drums for about $40 shipped with discount.

They also have cheap Prontos and midpriced Bendix to choose from, as well as very expensive Auto 7s.

Combine these with other parts and you may come out a bit better (or worse!) for shipping costs, depending on how the other parts are shipped (either with or separately from the drums).

The advantage to the NAPAs is that you order them and can inspect them in the store. Also, I always thought NAPA usually offered top quality stuff, but maybe they miss once in a while.

It pays to shop around.

Karl
                    Last edited by Safety Guy; 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM.
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Safety Guy,

I never seen a Rock Auto, and I get around. I can't recall a place I've driven to where there wasn't a Napa store when I needed something.
                      88L black, dailydriver
                      4 88/89 disassembled
                      91L green
                      91GL aqua pwrsteer
                      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Re: NAPA offering NEW Festy brake drums for only $24.99

Rockauto is an on-line supplier... www.rockauto.com

Sent from somewhere west of here!
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                        X