Excessive wheel hop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive wheel hop

I don't exactly recall when the problem started.

94 ford aspire.
    FMS lowering springs (15k to 20k old)
    KYBs up front, Gaberials out back: 1.5 years old/15k to 20k miles maybe
    New ball joints (15k miles)
    New tie rod ends (same time as struts)
    New driver's side wheel bearings (12k miles old)
    New rear wheel bearings (12k old)

Unless I really carefully slip the clutch, I get bad wheel hop. It's usually the driver's side, but sometimes its the passenger side.

What's else is left? CVs? They don't "click" like I've heard they're supposed to. But I hear something like a hum when I round a small curve.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

sorry I'm not answering the question but i have one for you. How are the FMS lowering springs. whats are your opinion?
    Wait what kinda car is that!!! Oh yeah thats a ASPIRE
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/801871

Comment

i have the same springs, and i personally would like to see them about 20% stiffer than they are now. the ride height is perfect though as you can see in any of the pictures I've posted... search for the thread with my suspension mods in it and you'll see what i mean.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Re: Excessive wheel hop

Originally posted by darkdan
        Unless I really carefully slip the clutch, I get bad wheel hop. It's usually the driver's side, but sometimes its the passenger side.

What's else is left? CVs? They don't "click" like I've heard they're supposed to. But I hear something like a hum when I round a small curve.
        to answer your question, it sounds like you're rubbing when the suspension rolls over in turns (it's your tires), OR it could be that your bearings are galled already and need replaced. further inspection will show the cause.

with the wheel hop, I think your having weight transfer problems: i.e. your rear has too much squat. i had problems with this and had to stiffen the springs to fix it. have you tried using your old front springs in the rear? I'd be willing to bet that will fix the issue.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Old springs were thrown away because they were broken.

It happens even if I pull away gently. This isn't happening because of full on race launches. So I doubt it's weight transfer. It's entirely possible that even though we took great care in replacing that wheel bearing that we screwed it up somehow.

Yes, the rear springs are entirely too weak. I can't tell you how many times I've hit the suspension stops or bottomed out going over a bump.
          www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

You might want to check the motor mounts. If they are shot and the engine/transmission are moving excessively that will cause wheel hop.

Comment

I was going to suggest the same thing. Look at all your transmission and engine mounts
              Paul
              91GL
              Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Working...
              X