How much ATF to refill a 5 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much ATF to refill a 5 speed

My car nearly 'lost a leg' early this week. Lower ball joint popped out on the passenger side. I was already very suspicious about the sudden change in steering response and had promptly jacked up the car when this all happened. Long and short of it the nut/bolt that holds the LBJoint in place on the knuckle had been replaced with an ordinary-strength bolt which had stripped the threads and then allowed the ball joint to work itself loose. Warning: Do not use an ordinary bolt on this very important part of the car!
    However in the overnight process (it's very useful to line-up an extra set of hands when you try to do this) of trying to re-engage and reassemble this business the transaxle popped out and all of the transmission fluid peed out. Re-filling is done entirely through the speedo gear hole (which is a real PITA) so I've got a long thin hose and a small funnel ready but I do not have the Ford manual specs or capacities nearby. What is the fluid capacity (I already know to use Mercon ATF and in fact have bought a synthetic version)) of a 5 speed transmission?
    Thanks folks.

2.6 US quarts. The speedo gear is also the dipstick. Crappy setup.

Comment

2.6 Qts
      93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
      RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
      RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

2.46 Liters.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Not only is it a PITA to fill but gauging when the level is correct is also difficult. I think I'll over fill (ie overflow) and then siphon some out. Thank you for all the responses folks. I went to Toronto and back (850Km) in that car a few days earlier and am thankful the wheel didn't come off on the highway.

Comment

I would make a dipstick that matches the speedo gear level mark. I use a long trans funnel and put an ounce or so in at a time and recheck.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
              I would make a dipstick that matches the speedo gear level mark. I use a long trans funnel and put an ounce or so in at a time and recheck.
              I poured in 2 litres through a long hose and funnel contraption and then carefully kept adding more until I could see the fluid level reach the bottom of the speedo gear hole (using a mouth-held flashlight, of course). Uneventful stunt compared to the very first time I tried to do this 5 years ago. The speedo retainer bolt is easy to get at from up above as long as you have a pile of extensions to fit on a ratchet. I'm still suspicious of the lower ball joint and will not drive too fast for a while. I don't know whether the knuckle hole opened up more through wear and tear or slop or whether the stripped bolt threads of the retainer bolt were the culprit. That particular low-grade bolt was still threaded where the ball joint groove contact surface is and wearing out that point was not very difficult.

Comment

Make sure that the ball joint stem notch lines up with the bolt bore or bolt will be damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                  Make sure that the ball joint stem notch lines up with the bolt bore or bolt will be damaged.
                  BJ seated nicely and the bolt slid in smooth. Retrieved a proper bolt off a derelict Festy knuckle and hope it's the same as one for an Aspire. But thanks for the concern.

Comment

Working...
                  X