Steering & front wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering & front wheel question

I've done a search but can't find answer to my question. Too many front bearing threads. My steering sticks at times, not bad but anoieing (?) check for loose parts under boots, its tight. Checked front wheels when jacked up. Drivers side good. On pass. side up & down no movement, but fore & aft. quit a bit of movement. Haven't been able to get under when tire/wheel moved, Son in school. Just had front breaks replaced less than 100 miles. What could this be? Thanks for any help.
    If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

ok are we talking toe movement or caster movement? and have you checked the strut tops (bearings) for binding?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

As FestYboy says the OEM top hats are a good place to look. The shocks ride and turn on a stainless steel washer. This whole business could be worn out, or rusted. Now is a good time to consider putting on Rio hats which have bearings in them.

Comment

No rust at all! I mean when you grab the tire front & rear and wiggle it , it moves. When you grab it top & bottom no movement. Like checkin' for bad bearing. Haven't checked top hats for wear. No rio's in local JY, been wantin' to do this for awhile, but money tight, got to do 1 thing at a time.

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

You can remove the front struts and apply oil to see if that helps. If you have some way to spray oil you can do it without removing the struts. I've put oil in a length of rubber tubing, stuck one end up into the head of the strut, and blew on the other end to get some oil in there. Now I spray every autumn when I spray the underside of the car for winter.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Is this movement the same direction the tire moves when turning or is the tire moving toward the front and then the rear of the car without turning..?
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Same as turning , not front to back of car. sorry for poor dicription.

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Jack up and turn wheel side to side listening for squeaking or rubbing.

Comment

No noise, either raised or driving.

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

ok you have one of 3 issues: bad inner tierod, bad outer tierod, bad lower balljoint (yes the balljoint can feel the same as tierod movement), SO get your tukkus under that car and have a look!!
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks Festy, I will. Today. I promise!!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

If you don't get satisfaction trying to figure out where the problem is it might be a good idea to undo both tie-rods just to ensure that the steering rack is not the culprit. Presumably then the other parts would turn more freely then as well. You don't have to pop the tie-rods but rather spin them off the inners and leave one adjustment nut untouched on each side for when you put everything back together. I bumped a curb rather hard years ago and kinked a steering rack. Just as you describe there were 'tough steering spots' and it was only after replacing the rack that I got smooth steering again.
                        Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X