Aligning Rear Hatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aligning Rear Hatch

Are there any tricks to aligning the rear hatch? I'm worried it might just be due to the fact that I snagged the hatch from another car, but I'm having trouble getting the new one aligned properly. It's not seating well on the right side. I can see a little daylight through that side and you can tell by the rear lights that the hatch just isn't sitting well/evenly.

Right side top of taillight.

Left side top of taillight.

Showing how far my finger can get into the gap on the left side. You can also see the gap going vertical is pretty large here.

Showing how far my finger can get into the gap on the right side. And the vertical gap here isn't as large as the left side.

Left side vertical gap.

Right side vertical gap.
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Loosen the hinge bolts and striker bolts ever so slightly. Enough to alow movement with force, but not loose. Shut and check for even gap. Carefully nudge if necessary. Carefully open slightly and retighten bolts.
    Double check gap by closing and opening. Repeat if necessary.

Same procedure for hood and doors.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 11-14-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

make shure you have all the rubber stoppers on the new lid . this will cause it to line up wrong

Comment

Originally posted by caoverlock View Post
        make shure you have all the rubber stoppers on the new lid . this will cause it to line up wrong
        Pretty sure I got them all. I know two popped off when I was loading/unloading the hatch from the back of the Festiva, but I put them back on. I'll double check.
        -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
        Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Be prepared to use shims if you cannot get an even reveal all the way around.

Comment

Where would I need to put the shims? On one side or the other of the hatch hinges?
            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
            Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
              Loosen the hinge bolts and striker bolts ever so slightly. Enough to alow movement with force, but not loose. Shut and check for even gap. Carefully nudge if necessary. Carefully open slightly and retighten bolts.
              Double check gap by closing and opening. Repeat if necessary.

Same procedure for hood and doors.
              Got around to trying this approach last weekend. Much more even alignment around the taillights and I believe it is seating better too! Thanks again!
              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
              Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Working...
              X