Intake Manifold and/or Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Manifold and/or Fuel Pump

88L. I just swapped in an engine from a 93.

Smokes on start, then less but steady smoke at idle. Pumps out smoke with throttle. At low RPM WOT it bogs down. Higher RPMs it's fine.

Replaced PCV, cleaned ignition components, checked timing belt.

Ignition timing for 88-89 is TDC, as opposed to +10 BTDC. I'll check it with a light later today.

Sprayed down intake manifold and fuel pump with WD-40. Idle came up, and I noticed a white film appeared in my oil cap. It was in the oil, but vanished after a few minutes of running.

Compression Readings:
    #1 195/255
    #2 175/191
    #3 172/215
    #4 179/211

Sounds like timing is behind.
    Repeat the spray test and fix vacuum hoses or
    what ever. Vacuum check the advances and make sure
    things actually move in the disty. When you get it running
    good sea foam the fuel and oil, then drive it for a bit.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yes make sure all the vacuum leaks are solved.

White film indicates water.

Smoke like you are describing is worn valve guides/seals. Do a leak down test.
      Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

I'm using the yellow notch and TDC pointer as my ignition TDC. From that state it was slightly retarded. I advanced it less than the 10* BTDC mark. It runs better. Idle is high and revs don't want to come down off throttle. Still stumbles at WOT, but much much less.

Smoke isn't nearly visible (like condensation now), unless I open the throttle.

One thing I noticed is with key "on", the fan will only come on when I jiggle wiring harness where it grounds to the engine head. Replaced temp sensor, but fan has a difficult time turning on. Often I have to touch the blades to get the fan to even turn on.

The high number on cylinder #1 is what's left of a plastic straw I lost trying to find TDC. I hope if/when the carbon passes, most of the smoke will subside. It already has improved greatly on simple road tests.

I expect some smoke, but hopefully the stumbling at wot and shifting can get better.

Comment

I expect some smoke, but hopefully the stumbling at wot and shifting can get better.

Is this a fuel injected auto?
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
          X