Phantom oil leak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom oil leak...

So I thought it was the oil pan leaking. Oil was consistently dripping down the front of the pan. I was wrong. New gasket and torqued the bolts twice. It still looks like it is leaking right behind the alternator.

Any ideas from the pros?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
    "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Cam or crank seal? Oil sending unit?

Comment

Re: Phantom oil leak...

Oooo.... where is the sending unit located?

I need to pull the plastic timing belt cover so I can see the seals there.

HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
      "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Spray the engine bay ou tat the car wash, sprinkle a light coat of baby powder over the area in question, go for a cruise! The leak will appear as a yellowed area.
        Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Originally posted by KingFish View Post
          Spray the engine bay ou tat the car wash, sprinkle a light coat of baby powder over the area in question, go for a cruise! The leak will appear as a yellowed area.
          The leak is pretty bad, I was worried water would get in the oil if I tried that. Its about half a qt pet tank of gas! What do you think?

"CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Any that could get in will quickly evaporate when the engine gets warm. If you are sure the leak is at the front of the engine, just spray there to avoid any trouble you could get into if you spray the electronics on the trans side. Disconnect the batt as well during just to be safe.
            Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

my pan actually had a whole in it. i replaced the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Huli View Post
                Oooo.... where is the sending unit located?

I need to pull the plastic timing belt cover so I can see the seals there.

The sending unit is on the back of the engine under intake IIRC. My original engine had a bad leak at the cam seal and the oil would run all the way down and drip off of the oil pan. Sure could fool you. Take that timing cover off and have a look.

Comment

I just put a new valve cover gasket on both mine. They get hard with age and don't seal anymore.

Comment

Did that before the oil pan.... I hate oil leaks!

Any other ideas? Where is that oil sensor at?

"CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

The sending unit is on the back of the engine under intak.
                      is the crank seal good?

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                        The sending unit is on the back of the engine under intak.
                        is the crank seal good?
                        I need to get the plastic cover off of the timing belt so I can take a look at the crank. Don't suspect it because there is no oil on the bottom of the plastic. It is mostly behind the alternator, forward of the oil filter. Still possible though I guess.

Do you have a pic of the sending unit, I tried just now and didn't see it.
                        "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

I got the timing belt cover off today. Looks like front crank seal

That cover came off in 4 pieces... not gonna be putting that back on...lol!

Since I am going to be pulling the crank pulley... any tips/mods/warnings?

uploadfromtaptalk1355186061950.jpg
                          "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

If you have things apart this far I would definitely replace the timing belt and seriously consider replacing the water pump.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada
                            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                              If you have things apart this far I would definitely replace the timing belt and seriously consider replacing the water pump.
                              Is there engine pulling required?
                              "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Working...
                              X