Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the half shaft circlip need replacement when putting it back into the transaxle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the half shaft circlip need replacement when putting it back into the transaxle?

I put a new clutch in my Aspire and immediately following the drivers wheel bearing went out after about a week. I'm reading where the half shaft circlip MUST be replaced with a new one when installing the half shaft back into the transaxle. If this clip is not replaced with a new one does it allow the half shaft to move in and out putting stress on the wheel bearing causing failure?
    Aspiring to new heights.

Does the half shaft circlip need replacement when putting it back into the transaxle?

Huh? First I've ever heard that, ever

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I doubt that has anything to do with the bearing failure, Only thing I know of that kills the lifespan of the bearing is if you have a load on the car and roll it without the axle in and the nut tight, since that is what holds the bearings together and "seats" them tight. Probably just a freak coincidence.
      -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
      -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
      -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

could possibly have damaged the oil seal when you removed the halfshaft for clutch replacement. if water gets in a wheel bearing it will be toast in a hurry.

Comment

The axle nut pulls the knuckle, bearings, and hub together. Torque is 150-180 ft-lb. No motion at the tansaxle end is going to disturb that.
          They also say to use new axle nuts and a bunch of other things related to different jobs on a car. Most of it is just covering their heavily insured asses and not needed. I would not worry about replacing a circular clip unless it were damaged.
          Last edited by WmWatt; 11-20-2012, 10:38 PM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
          X