Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it worth it? (sparkplugs)

So its finally tuneup time.
    I just put in the ford motor craft plugs that came with the car. I want to get the NGK coppers. Should I put some wear on the fords or just go ahead and do the ngk's?
    Fast....Women are fast
    Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

A spark is a spark, you can if you want.

You are probably not going to tell any difference between the two, any changes are probably just a placebo.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

The failure rate of both those plugs are about the same, Motorcraft used to be awesome
      but the NGK seems to be a bit better now. Not much difference. Especially in a B3 block.
      The Triton engines have not done Motorcraft plugs any favors.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Keep em as spares in your glove box or something if you're worried about the Motorcraft ones.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

you will be wasting your money if you put in the NGK's....you will not notice a difference at all. Except if you mind likes to play tricks on you....
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I have to say my favourite mechanic over the years just hated to install Champions in any make of car or truck but be honest I've never noticed any difference amongst plugs. The 'peace of mind' feeling you get out of buying iridium, platinum or some of the other long change interval plugs is (with regard to Festys) you forget to check them on a routine basis in order to make sure they don't rust seize into the aluminum head. How many of us out there have sacrificed a cylinder head because a plug wouldn't come out and ultimately stripped or tore out all the threads.

Comment

I run the plain old Autolite Copper Core plugs in everything. They wear fast, but I change them out every year. They perform great, inexpensive and available at WalMart, LOL. Plus, the large diameter tip dissipates heat and is less prone to spark knock. Many supercharged Mustangs are puttin down 400+ HP at the wheels using plain old copper core plugs.

BTW: even platinum and iridium plugs have copper center cores.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                I run the plain old Autolite Copper Core plugs in everything. They wear fast, but I change them out every year. They perform great, inexpensive and available at WalMart, LOL. Plus, the large diameter tip dissipates heat and is less prone to spark knock. Many supercharged Mustangs are puttin down 400+ HP at the wheels using plain old copper core plugs.

BTW: even platinum and iridium plugs have copper center cores.
                +1 On the Autolite Coppers from Walmart.
                1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Don't stop there.
                  Index your plugs too!

Don't stop there!
                  Index your gas lawnmower plug while you are at it!

Is it worth it?
                  Yes, you will be able to sleep peacefuly tonight.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 11-21-2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X