No announcement yet.

The car is kicking like a mule in 1st..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The car is kicking like a mule in 1st..

Here is the lowdown.

it seems that Festiva's don't like soap flakes running around in the carburettor (basically, the way soap got into the engine bay was by me running soap over the belts to stop them slipping, never really made a difference by the way.)

I ended up finding a whole bunch of the soap chips in the air intake and also a massive wedge of the soapbar in the air filter (don't ask me how it got there, cause in all seriousness i couldn't tell you.

Also it seems that the car is now stalling quite badly through 1st unless i pump the pedal to match the revs and then it goes alright. seems the carby is jammed open (my mate was saying that it could be open simply cause it's at the right operating temperature and needs to be open, however at the same time he had his hand over the throat of the carby and the revs picked up a lot.. also when playing with the butterfly, the rev's seemed to stay more constant.

also checked the timing and fuel to ensure there was nothing wrong.. once the soap was removed and engine was run for a bit more, with a bit of degreaser to clean up, revs started to even out. however, there is still a bit of concern as to really how much soap got in the engine itself..

my question is, i have seen a product called seafoam that cleans the engine via the fuel, the air intake and the oil and i have heard very promising results.

i was hoping to not get as extreme with the "cleaning", but i may have no real choice after this.. but i was wondering, what is the best way to "cleanup" after something like this?

I know it's not a very common problem, but if anyone has some advice, i'd be most appreciative.

Thanks.
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

Repair help questions don't go in the general discussion section

Thread moved

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Liquid soap for belts.
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

soap for belts... WHAAAA???? how bout this: fix the issue, not the symptom...
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          This ^^ FTW

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
            Here is the lowdown.

..., however at the same time he had his hand over the throat of the carby and the revs picked up a lot.. also when playing with the butterfly, the rev's seemed to stay more constant.
            there's your clue.... you sir have a VAC leak!!!

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Pull off your distributor cap, and make sure there isn't any condensation inside of it. I had a very similar "bucking" car a couple of months ago.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
              1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
              1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
              1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
              1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
              1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
              1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                Liquid dish soap can help quiet a noisy belt for a short time, say, long enough to get to the parts store, and keep it quiet enough not to drive you insane!

In my experience, it usually only works for about 20 minutes, if at all.
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

no.. it wasn't liquid soap.. it was a bar of soap.. i have heard a "wive's tale" (stupid wife whoever she was) about putting soap on the belts and it was supposed to stop them getting loose.. changed the belts and problem is still there.

Festyboy: there's your clue.... you sir have a VAC leak!!! ---> is that on a carby or efi car? cause i have a carby.

Avg Economy:
                  Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

thanks for all your help with this too guys.. shall report what the issue is when it's been resolved too.

Avg Economy:
                    Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

thats for a carby car only, you can't do that test with an EFI.

Comment

Working...
                      X