Hard to diagnose brake problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to diagnose brake problem

Hi all, i've been having a brake issue for the last 6 months because i haven't been able to figure out whats causing it.

I thought it was the master cylinder, replaced that, didn't change anything. Thought it was the driver's side caliper, replaced that, didn't change anything.

When you hit the brakes, sometimes it has good pressure, sometimes it has almost zero pressure, and sometimes medium pressure. When the pedal sinks to the floor, and you press as hard as you can to stop, you can feel that the right side of the car is doing all the braking. Also when it sinks to the floor, you can feel the warped rotor on the left side wobble, but when the pedal has pressure, there is no rotor wobble felt at all and the car stops smooth & fine.

If i bleed the driver's side caliper, the brakes will be alot better for awhile ( pedal still sinks to the floor occasionally ) but then progressively starts to loose pressure more often.

The only thing i can figure is it's gotta be a problem with the line, but it doesn't leak any brake fluid, so i don't have any clue what it could be.

Are there any check valves in the front brake lines ?

no check valves. you may be sucking air in from one of the fittings in the system and you might want to look over the rear brakes while you're at it.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Hard to diagnose brake problem

My girlfriends Festiva had the wackiest brakes... I tried everything and couldn't find leaks. It ended up being a bad rear wheel cylinder. Take a look at the rear end and make sure those little boots aren't torn and leaking in the brake drum.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
        My girlfriends Festiva had the wackiest brakes... I tried everything and couldn't find leaks. It ended up being a bad rear wheel cylinder. Take a look at the rear end and make sure those little boots aren't torn and leaking in the brake drum.
        Good call, I'll check out the rear wheel cylinders tomorrow.

Does anybody know how the brakes are sorted out by that little aluminum splitter block that the two lines run into and the 4 come out to each wheel ? Are the two brake lines from the master cylinder split into front and rear brakes, or left to right side brakes from the splitter ? Because then that would make sense why my front brakes would give out from a bad wheel cylinder if it was sorted by left to right instead of front to rear.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          no check valves. you may be sucking air in from one of the fittings in the system and you might want to look over the rear brakes while you're at it.
          I'm definitely worried that i may have to break loose ( without breaking ) all the brake fittings and seal them with thread tape.

Comment

no, brake fluid will eat that stuff up. the fittings are designed to seal dry.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

That is not where the brake fluid is sealed. ( i may have to break loose ( without breaking ) all the brake fittings and seal them with thread tape.)

The end of the tubing has a flared connection. That has to be clean, no scraped or gouges, rust free. The threads have to be clean enough to compress
              the two angled parts together. Tape may make removal easier next time but it is intended for pipe threads that actually do seal fluid or gas inside.

Whups ^^^ stated so much more to the point, thanks festYboy!
              Last edited by Movin; 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Finish Him ! Noobality !!!

I suck at brake problems...

Comment

hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Fester's Quest View Post
                    Good call, I'll check out the rear wheel cylinders tomorrow.

Does anybody know how the brakes are sorted out by that little aluminum splitter block that the two lines run into and the 4 come out to each wheel ? Are the two brake lines from the master cylinder split into front and rear brakes, or left to right side brakes from the splitter ? Because then that would make sense why my front brakes would give out from a bad wheel cylinder if it was sorted by left to right instead of front to rear.
                    Look at the splitter. It has F and R on it.
                    Do you have a stock master cylinder on here?
                    Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

they are split cross wise, LF and RR are on one circuit and RF and LR are on the other.

Comment

Originally posted by rbrown View Post
                        Look at the splitter. It has F and R on it.
                        Do you have a stock master cylinder on here?
                        Oh, i see it now. mine was very dirty, my bad.

Looks like my problem is probably a driver's side wheel cylinder.

Not sure about the brake master, it's a reman from a local parts store.
                        Last edited by Fester's Quest; 11-27-2012, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          they are split cross wise, LF and RR are on one circuit and RF and LR are on the other.
                          Oh ! So then passenger side wheel cylinder... i hate working on brakes :gritteeth:
                          Last edited by Fester's Quest; 11-27-2012, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Try pumping the brake pedal before braking.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                              Try pumping the brake pedal before braking.
                              That helps, but only sometimes.

I went ahead and ordered some new rear wheel cylinders. $12 each at O' Reillys

Comment

Working...
                              X