Alternator belt came off....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator belt came off....

need to replace the alternator belt which one do i buy and about how much would it cost, and is it hard to replace it?

Just get one for your year and make, its just a old school v-belt. Last one I bought at Autozone last month was $10. It's about as easy as they get. Lossen the top and bottom alternator bolts. 12mm on top and 14mm on the bottom. Push the alternator tears the engine as far as you can to get the belt on. Using a small pry bar, pry gently on the alternator away from the engine to tighten the belt and tighten down the top bolt. Make sure to not over tighten the belt, it can cause pre-mature failure of the bearings in the water pump and alternator. The belt should have just the slightest amount of give to it when pushed on. Once that tension is determined. Tighten the bottom bolt. Done!
    Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
    93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
    91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
    93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
    15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

I just put a new one on my 89 festive last week I got it at O'Reilly's for $4.99 and took about 5 mins to put on.
      89 Festiva L Plus Carby 4 speed "First Bite"
      02 Honda Odyssey
      05 Chevy Blazer
      ------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Last time I replaced it, I used a broom handle to provide tension.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
        1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
        1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
        1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
        1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
        1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
        1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

hey i got a question which is the pully that it goes on i got my car up on the rack right now, need some qucick help my clymers book isnt here yet either. do i have to take off any other belts to do this or ????

Comment

i got the alt/wp v belt since i figured thats the one i need. allthough i do have AC but it looks like it has a belt on it already so im just a wee bit confused

its a 1993 GL automatic with AC
            Last edited by yousufwalton; 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

You will have to take off the A/C belt to get the alternator belt on. You will have to put the A/C belt on last. The A/C belt tensioner is a single long bolt on top of the small idler pulley.

Comment

anyone got a side shot of the engine so i can see the layout?

Comment

Alternator belt came off....

Really? You need a pic to show how a belt goes around 3 pulleys?

It's a V belt, if you look at it and the pulleys, it's self explanatory how it goes
                  Last edited by Damkid; 11-29-2012, 03:26 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Here is a pic without the tensioner. You can see both belts. I have power steering and A/C.
                    As you can see, the A/C belt is in front of the alternator belt. The crankshaft pulley drives both belts. The crankshaft pulley has two grooves. One for alternator and one for the A/C compressor.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 11-29-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X