'88 LX sluggish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '88 LX sluggish

It always happens this way: Get in, crank the car. Car cranks, and dies. Pedal the gas 3x, crank the car, idles at 2krpm. 20 seconds or so, rev the car to 3k, and idle drops to 4-500. Reverse down a slight slope out of my parking space, switch to 1st, push the gas and let off the clutch. Car dies. Start the car. Rev to 3k, using minor clutch, car bucks and starts off.

Driving, under 3k is very sluggish and shudders. Drop the hammer, car accelerates normally until 3k, when the car takes off like a rocket, most of the time.

Directly after I fuel, I don't have this issue. Within a quarter tank, it's back.

I'll be checking for sediment in my tank, but what else might this be? I've run the seafoam, and it made absolutely no difference. I think there are at least two problems I'm having, so I will replace all my vacuum lines as well.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

I think it's your b3... or something related to it, better go ahead and swap it for a bp with a turbo.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I'm thinking that maybe it's in the fuel pick-up.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Re: '88 LX sluggish

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
        I think it's your b3... or something related to it, better go ahead and swap it for a bp with a turbo.
        B6T waiting.
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Do this test. Loosen the fuel tank cap and leave it loose. See if the engine stumbles while you drive.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 11-28-2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Pin hole drawing air in to the fuel flow, upper part of sender assembly. We don't see
            this here but moisture could rust that little 6mm tube where it goes through the plate.
            That is assuming you still have the carby.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

my fiance's camry has a cracked carbon canister. I can't tell you why, but when you fill it most of the way or all of the way up with fuel, it starts then dies the first time you start it, and then cranks for a longer than usual time before it will run. It starts fine when tank is lower.

again I have no idea what this happens but it does. just throwing that out there.

Comment

I had the same problem in my 88lx Was due to the gas tank couldnt filll it up even half way due to hole in gas tank. Felt like was more air or something with the carb. Works fine now after I replaced gas tank. How many mile are on yours? Mine has 260k. Could be what movin said is right the car is 24 years old.
                1991 Auto Ford Festiva " Noel " <-- cuz theres No L in Festiva
                1991 Manual Ford Festiva
                1999 ford f-250 5.4L My gas guzzler.

Comment

I think Movin is probably right. I have two spare carby gas tanks, I'll bring up a sending unit/pickup tube assembly with me on Sunday to drop off with Jerry for ya.
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

He'll be here working on Jamie's car all weekend.
                    Jerry
                    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                    93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Damn i wish i lived in the US.. more people with festies around.... and with parts spare too.
                      Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                      Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                      Highway - 7.32L/100km
                      City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                        I think Movin is probably right. I have two spare carby gas tanks, I'll bring up a sending unit/pickup tube assembly with me on Sunday to drop off with Jerry for ya.
                        Originally posted by bebandit View Post
                        He'll be here working on Jamie's car all weekend.
                        I'll probably have everything swapped by Saturday evening. It's only a B6, and the manual trans is lighter than that damned auto (Mary Poppins of ATF) so it shouldn't give me any issues. I'll be there Sunday to give you a ride so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I'll try that gas cap thing too, for the hell of it. My car has 109,000 on it. It's a VA beach car, though.

Comment

"pedal the gas 3x" sets the automatic choke. standard starting procedure according to owner's manual. after engine starts pedal the gas again to release choke, idle drops to 750. low idle rpm could be idle adjustment screw, white plastic, back of carburettor. when was last tuneup (idle and timing check)?
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                            "pedal the gas 3x" sets the automatic choke. standard starting procedure according to owner's manual. after engine starts pedal the gas again to release choke, idle drops to 750. low idle rpm could be idle adjustment screw, white plastic, back of carburettor. when was last tuneup (idle and timing check)?
                            Idle control screw doesn't seem to keep things steady. I set it to 800 RPM, and the next time (and every subsequent time after), the car idled at 3-400 RPM. If I fix it during the time the car idles this way, I can get it back. However, cut the engine and restart, and my post-choke idle is 1200-1400 RPM. If I turn the screw during high idle at startup, it makes things better, but it still isn't great. The last tune up was less than 20,000 miles ago, but timing could be off a bit.

Comment

Htchbck, if you and Danny can, meet me about 2:45-3:00 Sunday.
                              Jerry
                              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                              93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X