Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

really annoying problem please help!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really annoying problem please help!!!!!!

i have an 88 lx festiva 4 speed with a carb.... its a great running car but when im driving and just feel the need to go fast 65 mph is all itll do...but if i have a nice open road and ease in to the fuel itll go as fast as i want it to....makes no sense to me please help

O2 sensor and/or carb reaching the end of its efficient life. Have them checked.

While your at it, check plugs, wires, distributor and cap, rotor, and timing.
    Last edited by drddan; 11-29-2012, 06:45 AM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Cars get sluggish when the Cat is mostly blocked, too. I've never checked to see what top end is on any of mine but in a short stretch they'll readily do 145k (90mph), even my 3 speed auto.

Comment

I had a lowered Isuzu pickup with the carbed 2.3 that got a blocked cat. It started loosing power on the way home from a friend's house after a big rain. I tried switching gears and putting the peddle to the metal and was about 2 miles from home when BOOM!!! the thing blew up. Looked back in the mirror and saw orange glowing BBs bouncing all over the highway and the truck was running really loud. Pulled over and got out to look under the truck and there's a glowing coming from under there. The whole cat was glowing orange. I ran down into the ditch, grabbed a Sonic RT44 cup laying there and filled it with water from the ditch, ran back up to the truck and threw it under there, as best I could with a truck lowered to about 2" off the ground. Did that a few times, then drove it home. Luckily I had scrapped out another truck and had another cat, but before I installed it, I knocked a hole in it and shook all the BBs out of it as I didn't know what caused the cat to clog.
        1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
        1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
        2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Try seafoaming it... That stuff does wonders. I had a Kawasaki 440LTD that wouldn't go over 55. Seafoamed it, and followed the instructions on the can to ride it like you stole it after seafoaming... As soon as the smoke started to calm down a little, it took off like a rocket! Worth the $7 try!

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
          1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
          1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
          1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
          1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
          1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
          1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

A vacuum guage will shwo if teh exhaust is blocked. See the permanent article at the top of therepair forum page.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

weak ignition coil can also exibit these conditions. all other ignition parts (plugs, wires, cap/rotor) must be in good shape before condemning the coil though.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

thanks to all of you ill try all of that and let you all know what happens...thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X