Axle bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle bolt

I can't take off the axle bolt. I've been sitting here heating it with a torch and trying to take it off with an impact and it just won't come off.

I tried putting a socket on a ratchet and jumping on it, and it just turns the entire rotor.

Does anybody know what's going on and how I can get the axle bolt off? It's the front passenger side on a 1993 5spd if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by Flw Sock; 12-02-2012, 08:50 PM.

Axle bolt

Put a tire on it, set the car back on the ground, the weight of the car should stop the tire from turning, put the ratchet on the axle nut and put a bar over the ratchet for added torque

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

have someone apply the brakes while removing the nut.

I use a socket with a five foot cheater bar.

Can use the lug nuts and bar or chain to lock up rotor.

Comment

Are you turning it in the proper direction?

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
          I loled
          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
            Not an entirely unsound piece of advice. How many of us have discovered the secret of the passenger side rear spindle nut the hard way?
            By the way; having someone stand of the brake pedal, plus having the car wheels on the ground does help when you're really hauling on a long breaker bar or piece of pipe over a ratchet.

Comment

its all true I've done all that my axle nut on the my festy was on there so good the I had to practically put all my wieght on the fender just so my wheel wouldn't turn ugh but a big breaker bar should always do the trick
              Frankie

fully custom 88 festy (project doomsday) Febuary in 2012 calander
              Blockspire: ken block replica aspire
              AdvancedDynamix: "If you put the same kind of effort into your engine that you put into the rest of the car, well... it'll be epic". thanks man

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000110128487

Comment

harbor freight 3/4" ratchet and a reducer. If you get an axel nut that likes to break 1/2" breaker bars.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Not an entirely unsound piece of advice. How many of us have discovered the secret of the passenger side rear spindle nut the hard way?
                  It's not a reverse spin, is it? My driver's side axle was a reverse spin too if I remember correctly.
                  Last edited by Flw Sock; 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Re: Axle bolt

The only reverse thread that I know of on the Festiva is the right rear spindle nut. In my experience front axles have all been regular threads.

Sent from somewhere west of here!
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I ended up using my 1/2" 24" breaker bar and a 5' piece of steel tube, AFTER I had heated it with the torch. CRAZY how on there that stupid nut was!

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                      1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                      1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                      1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                      1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                      1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                      1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Axle bolt

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                        The only reverse thread that I know of on the Festiva is the right rear spindle nut. In my experience front axles have all been regular threads.

Sent from somewhere west of here!
                        Same here

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by TheresGabe View Post
                          I ended up using my 1/2" 24" breaker bar and a 5' piece of steel tube, AFTER I had heated it with the torch. CRAZY how on there that stupid nut was!
                          Same here. No heat. Wheel on ground. Rent the 24" breaker bar from AZ. They told me it was ok if I break it.
                          Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Haynes says to loosen axle nut beofre jacking up car. I stick one end of a pry bar between two of the wheel lugs and the other end on the garage floor to keep the wheel from turning. On one I had to take the fan off a floor stand and use that as an extension, leaving the floor weight on the end, and bouncing it up and down until the nut gave way. Those nuts are torques to 150-180 ft-lbs which is more than the strength in my arms so I have to use body weight or a hammer or something. If using body weight use a pumping motion to break the nut free. There are some photos here
                            Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

When trying to break a nut free there eventually comes a loud "crack" sound and you wonder what broke or gave way and hope it was the nut.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by TheresGabe View Post
                              How about 96 inches?

Torched that bit-- for 45minutes, had my dad hold the wrench on the tire, and my mom put the brakes on.

Comment

Working...
                              X