My Engine ticking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Engine ticking.

this is the ticking noise, in which i suspect i need to replace a few of the hydraulic lifters. anyone know where to get them under 10 bucks?

list of things checked

Oil at good level ( right below full marker )
    Oil is a cleanish color.
    I did do the sea foam in the oil will run it for a while then drain, flush , change.
    Last edited by yousufwalton; 12-03-2012, 02:37 PM.

I just ordered some lifters from Rockauto. I think they were under $7 each.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I just ordered some lifters from Rockauto. I think they were under $7 each.

Don't forget the discount code of 120166694483687 for 5% off. Also, if you think shipping is too high, look for some other parts to add to your order that will come from the same place. Sometimes you have to play around with the system to get the shipping down a bit.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

My Engine ticking.

I'm not trying to be rude here but you didn't know how to put the V belt on these cars when it's pretty well self explanatory, so why would you even consider doing internal engine repairs?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
          I'm not trying to be rude here but you didn't know how to put the V belt on these cars when it's pretty well self explanatory, so why would you even consider doing internal engine repairs?
          1st. The point of the post is to hear others opnions / confirmation / idea if my assumption is the hydraulic valve adjusters causing the tick.

2nd. Little to no offense taken. Was a brain fart day there to many things were happening that day. but keep in mind i did get this car non running and replaced a bunch of stuff and did a tune up. albit those are easy things. i have done these type of things before. mainly on old cars 60's and 70's.
          Last edited by yousufwalton; 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM.

Comment

ok, the tick = lifter.

as for the fan running, the connector you picture in your vid is the o2 sensor connector, not the fan switch. the fan switch is attached to the thermostat housing. if the appropriate wire isnt attached to the switch, the fan will run all the time no matter what.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Lol had bbandit tell me to look at that hahaha.

Comment

this would work yes?

not to hard , turn engine to TDC ( top dead center ) to have both the intake and exhaust closed, un bolt the cams while watching how you took it off, etc etc take off old lifter put new ones on all of this time keeping track of how you undo something and how it was , after new lifters are on etc put the other stuff back on tighten it up leave about what 100th of an inch and then new valve cover gasket lined up right bolt the cover back on and continure to put the rest of the stuf on top back together.
                Last edited by yousufwalton; 12-03-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

those would work, yes. as far as the instalation goes, remove the VC, start on the outside bolts and gradualy loosen the rocker beam a little at a time untill you can lift the assembly off the head (note: the engine can be in any position to do this). there are 2 lefts and 2 rights on each beam and their positions are reversed on the opposite beam. flip the assemblies over and R&R the lash adjusters. when you have everything back on and are ready to install the VC again, pour a bottle of STP oil treatment over the rockers first.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

well after running half a can of sea foam in the oil for 100 miles and changing the oil , the tick is smaller. i think i might try one more sea foam treatment and oil change after 200 miles then an engine flush to see if that does anymore good.

Comment

good call

Comment

guess i should have said quieter in lieu of smaller.

Comment

Working...
                        X