Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooling system runs cool and not much heat in winter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling system runs cool and not much heat in winter.

Is it normal on these Festivas that the engine temperature runs on the cool side in the winter. Mine barely comes off the C and the heater temp is just warm. Its not the thermostat. If I block most of the radiator I can get the temp up to normal but on a warm day, it will start to run too hot. The old volvo PV544's had a shade in front of the radiator that you could raise and lower from inside the car with a chain. because it had the same issue. I'm in New Mexico so the temperature swings are up to 40 degrees in one day.

Mine is doing the same thing and I think it's making my car use more gas since its saying it's cold

Comment

How do you know it's not the T-Stat??
      Chuck
      Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
      If money will fix it, it's not broken
      91 GL -Ol' Rusty
      93 GL - Lil Red
      91 L - Tweetystiva
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Depending on the thermostat...the Festy tends to run on the cooler side anyway. With a completely NORMAL functioning system and the PROPER thermostat....they work fine. If not they can keep you chilly while driving. I have as I am sure others have, taken a piece of cardboard and slip it in between the grill and the radiator, blocking the air flow and helping keep the temp up in the system. Right or wrong...it helps. I run with a piece as big as the radiator...others may adjust the size to let more air flow in....depending on how cool it is running. That being said....your system may need to be flushed due to a partially plugged heater core....poor circulation through the radiator...or both. Also the water pump may not be moving the proper amount of fluids. Also...you may have a partially blocked heater core from the inside....filled with bedding from furry little tag alongs over the years.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I have had the same issue with a couple of mine. The proper thermostat helps when driving intown. But unless you never get on the highway (55+). Easy check on the heater core, let it idle and get up to temp with the heat off, kick it on high. If its mediocre, then get to flushing. If its nice and hot for a min, try some cardboard.
          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Low Coolant Temperature

I have a 91 Festiva which runs on the cool side, and even cooler in the winter. I dont have a heater, I have a warmer. The needle barely comes off the C. In the summer it will get to mid level if I'm in stop and go traffic. If I cover most of the radiator in the winter the temperature will get to normal but if it warms up outside midday, then it gets too hot. It is not the thermostat. Plus I just replaced the radiator from the original manual transmission type to the thicker AT type so that wont help. Is this common to these vehicles? I had a 59 Volvo PV544 that was known for the same issue and they came from the factory with a front radiator shade that can be raised or lowered from inside with a chain.

Comment

and thank you for starting another thread on the same subject.

get yourself a 2 stage t-stat, flush the core and enjoy your new found heat.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Check out the sticky at the top of repair forum. A sticky is a thread at the very top of the page that has a little splat icon next to it.
                Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Oopps, I was too slow.
                  Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

FestYboy runs on race fuel and he is hot all the time!!
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

i'm what you call and "exotic" fuel, lol.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Use less rad fluid:p
                        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Add more oxygen and hang on !!
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Good morning Rich, give this a try.
                            Click repair help forum,
                            click sticky #1,
                            go to page 12,
                            look for post #117
                            This post was created by FB71, read and follow the instructions. Good luck
                            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

O.K. I found the solution to the poor heat problem!

Comment

Working...
                              X