No spark, distributor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spark, distributor?

So my car was running fine then all the sudden wouldn't start. Finally started but would only stay running for about 20 seconds. Recently put a dist cap and wires on. Checked fuel and I don't have an issue there. Changed the coil and ignition module. Still no spark. When it does have spark it runs like a top it will set there and idle for 20 or 30 seconds then the RPMs drop and come back up once or twice then it shuts off like you turned the key off. No sputter or anything. What are you guys thinking just a wore out bad distributor?
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

I have a 93 also. This happened to me and after replacing coil and ignition module I found out if was the distributor. Did you try pulling top off distributor to see if maybe it was wet or had any oil inside of it. Im talking under the cam sensor also. Hows timing belt. Any chance it might be worn. If you can, find a distributor and put it in and see. I always keep a good running distributor in car as a spare. Check all connections too. If you get it running, try wiggling all wires at connections but it really sounds like disty.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Same as you (I also have a 93 EFI (3 of them, in fact)); the car dies suddenly, and once in awhile restarts. Makes no sense either until you slowly come to understand that 20 year old electronics entirely operate these (now primitive) cars. I scratched forever trying to figure out what was going on last year but was lucky enough to have gads of swappable parts. Another distributor and all of sudden the car came back to life and has run fine ever since.
      To me it is counter-intuitive to have a sensor inside the dizzy to tell the ECU that the motor is turning when in fact (by virtue of the distributor actually having to turn) it is already obvious that the motor is turning; "Don't F around you idiot, I'm turning so send out a spark!" is the original, fool proof, and old reliable way of doing things.
      I am no fan of electronics. Likely because there is a serious disconnect with 'swell-headed' folks that promote and instigate these things thinking the world can run entirely on electrical impulses, whereas ground level practical folks more fully understand their limitations and use them much more carefully and only to their benefit.

Comment

That's what I think too I have a guy close by that might have one I can at least try and see if that's it or not.

Comment

Bert: the igniton control module replaced the points, it's called transitorized points, does the job more reliably and accurately.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Every body should know how to up grade their fusible links and have a spare known
            good disty under their seat!
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
              Bert: the igniton control module replaced the points, it's called transitorized points, does the job more reliably and accurately.
              I'm not arguing against electronic ignition; it produces a stronger and more consistent spark. But electronic-controlled engines should be programmed at least to run (ie some sort of spark) when the $%#& 50 cent non-replaceable pickup inside the dizzie fails. There is nothing worse than being outright 'dead in the water' even though the tank is full of gas, the fuel pump works, fuses are in order, and the engine is perfectly capable.

Comment

Bert: I hear you. When transistors replaced vacuum tubes electronic devices not longer failed gracefully. The ignition control module usually gives warnings before failing completely, eg. random stalling due to overheating, just like the CPU on a computer. Let the car sit until the module cools and it will start and run normally again. Unfortunately a lot of car owners and professional automotive technitions still aren't aware of the warning signs.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                  Bert: I hear you. When transistors replaced vacuum tubes electronic devices not longer failed gracefully. The ignition control module usually gives warnings before failing completely, eg. random stalling due to overheating, just like the CPU on a computer. Let the car sit until the module cools and it will start and run normally again. Unfortunately a lot of car owners and professional automotive technitions still aren't aware of the warning signs.
                  Unfortunately (and this happened to me last spring) the "50 cent magnet-derived", and otherwise plastic-made sensor inside the distributor of EFI cars does not do much of anything except generate and transmit impulses, and/but tends to cease functioning rather suddenly. It is not replaceable either, and as Bobstad found out recently, requires a serious infusion of cash via purchase and install of a complete distributor unit. The sensor's only function is to relay an electric signal to the ECU to tell it that the distributor (and by extrapolation, the entire engine) is turning. This directs the ECU to release a signal to the ignition module to release current to the dizzie cap. So, with a perfectly good engine, good belts, fuses, distributor cap and wires, connections etc etc this mere "yes/no" switch, when it fails, disables the entire car. No MILSPEC or NASA operation would ever allow a circuit like that. Dead, entirely because your shoe lace untied.
                  Of course we're all now driving 20+ year old cars and to think maybe the fact that the 'electronics-infested' OEM radios in all of them generally 'died' somewhere around the 10th year might be a forewarning of the future for all the other electronic components.

Comment

That did it. Put one in she fired right up and runs as smooth as it could.

Comment

COP ignition..
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                      X