Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get a new engine?

12/04/2012 MidEasternOklahoma

I got my 1990 Blue 5-Speed Festiva back from my son after he had it for 3 or 4 months. I got it with 190,000 miles on it. The motor was changed right when I got it and the motor had 160,000 miles on it. It now has 339,500 miles on it and still accelerates up the hills. It's burning oil and I have to put a quart in it about every 400 or 500 miles. That isn't normal for a car with this type of milage is it?

It does blow a little white smoke now and then, especially when the engine revs-up (which I don't try to do). My brakes are going bad. It'll loose its brake fluid about every 4 or 5 days so I'll be getting a new master cylinder very soon.

My main question is: Where can I get a new engine for it? I would like it to be as close to original as possible. I've done many things to the many Festivas that I've had over my life time but I've never changed an engine. I hear that it's not too complicated from people who've done it.

I'll be googling around for engines but in the mean time I'll continually check back here to see what a good engine would be and how much one might cost. Thank you...
    al

Sounds like its time for an upgrade. B6(1.6) 1988-89 should be an easy swap. Also gives you more power and close to the same mpg.
    The b6 those two yrs is the easiest motor to install. I believe it will run on the B3 ECU. I checked autozone.com and rebuilt motors are not listed on their website for the Festiva.
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 12-04-2012, 10:56 PM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Hey, cool, you're in Oklahoma too! If you go to OKC any, there is a junkyard or two that you can pull your own part from. I know there are a handful of B6 Proteges and Tracers at the Pull a Part.

There's also a guy on CL selling a carbed Festiva engine in Wellston: http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/3408047488.html

Good luck!
      Last edited by meg4x; 12-05-2012, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Lots of forum members have swapped-in bigger engines and have a B3 left over. Surely one of them is located near you. Most of the time these folks are for-all-intents and purposes giving B3s away. Should you be lucky and find a rusty or derelict lo-mile Ford Aspire they also have B3 engines.

Comment

1994-97 aspire engine will work for stock
          ;
          www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
          rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
          '92 Festiva L M/T
          '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

I have backup engines for both my '93 and '89. Bought them from CL for $100 each. Won't know how good they are until there driven.

Comment

Working...
            X