Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfshaft Reinstallation problem

Festiva L '92 5 Speed

After installing a new halfshaft, I find I have a terrible leak where the shaft enters the transaxle. I pulled out the old halfshaft using a slidehammer with an "L" attachment. It seemed to come straight out slick as a whistle. Is it possible that I damaged the seal removing the old half shaft? If I went back disassembled everything and tried to tap the halfshaft in further do you think that would make it seal?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    bsirvine

Did you make sure the axle was seated all the way into the transmission? Every time I pull my axles I replace the seal just to make sure I don't have a problem once its together
    Paul
    91GL
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

I thought the shaft was in far enough because I had problems drawing the end through the hub. I didn't replace the seal. I didn't see any seal. Is the seal internal to the transaxle? I don't remember instructions on how to replace the seal in either the haynes or the factory manual. I'll look again when I get home.

The rebuilt halfshaft came with a circlip. I was wondering if I should have heard a "click" when the new halfshaft circlip engaged the transaxle. I suppose that the shaft may not be seated far enough in.

Comment

It sounds like the axle isn't in all the way. tap the end at the steering knuckle. If you have more than a 1/4" gap between the shaft and the tranny, it probably isn't in all the way.
        The Festiva Store
        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
        X