timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing

So I put in a new distributor seems to be just slightly down on power. I know I have seen you can change them just a little to improve mileage. How far should I go and which way should I turn that distributor to get it where it should be and have max MPGs.
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

you need a timing light to do it right.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I don't have a timing light at the moment so I am trying to get it as close as I can.

Comment

Got a vacuum gauge? Adjust it for maximum vacuum at idle. Another way is to have a friend hold the RPM at a steady 3000 and watch the tach needle while you slowly advance the dizzy. As soon as the tach needle starts to flutter, back the timing off a hair. Test drive it and listen for signs of spark knock under high load. If you hear it, back it off a little more. Turn the dizzy clockwise to advance it....that's standing over the drivers fender looking directly at the cap.

This will get you in the ballpark and close, but buy or borrow a cheap timing light when you can.
        Last edited by blkfordsedan; 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Some parts stores will let you borrow tools..Chalk or white out your marks ahead of time
          because if you do it in their parking lot you will need all the help you can paint on there
          to see the marks with the light.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

My dad has one I can get my hands on here in a couple weeks I was hoping to get it situated before then but I may just have to wait.

Comment

in the inturum, dead center is usually a safe position.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Moved it just a tad this morning more to dead center. That seems to have made it a little more peppy like it was and its running a little smoother.

Comment

Working...
                X