squeeking noise in rear wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squeeking noise in rear wheel

i have a squeeking noise coming from my pass rear wheel, i have a broken belt in that tire which is annoying, so i moved wheels around and it still squeeks. Im prety sure its not the wheel bearing, because theres no play or any other noises and the cap doesnt even get warm from friction, pretty sure its also not the brakes because pressing and releasing them does nothing. All i know is its driving me nuts, any insight?

170k+ B3 Festiva L slo-kart.

Originally posted by B3Festiva View Post
    i have a squeeking noise coming from my pass rear wheel, i have a broken belt in that tire which is annoying, so i moved wheels around and it still squeeks. Im prety sure its not the wheel bearing, because theres no play or any other noises and the cap doesnt even get warm from friction, pretty sure its also not the brakes because pressing and releasing them does nothing. All i know is its driving me nuts, any insight?

My guess is if it is not the bearings, then something to do with the brakes.

Maybe one of the shoes were dragging and is now completely worn out and is now metal on metal?
    That is the only thing I can think of.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 12-13-2012, 02:00 AM.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Jack up that wheel and spin the tire by hand. If there is any resistance you should have a better idea of where to look. "Cooked" wheel bearings do not necessarily get sloppy right away but you will feel ever so slight rumble or resistance. Other thing to consider is sometimes a brake retainer spring inside the drum comes loose, breaks or rusts off and starts to scour the drum (has happened to me more than once). It is not a big deal to get in there and have a look. Undo the spindle nut (caution, unstake it first and then realize it will be reverse-threaded) and remove the drum carefully, so as not to let the outer bearing fall on the ground. If the brakes are old there will likely be a ridge along the edge of the drum which will make it difficult to pull the drum off over the shoes. Use a file or dremel to grind this lip off before you reassemble. Now is a good time to inspect the bearings and regrease them, too. Replacement shoes and a spring kit is not a big financial outlay, nor are inner and outer bearings and a grease seal. If you are at all leery of replacing bearings just befriend the local corner garage mechanic with a 6 pack and get him to press the races in, and show you how to pack bearings.
      Good luck!
      Last edited by Bert; 12-13-2012, 05:00 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Comment

Could it be the suspension? Try jumping up and down on the rear bumper and see if you get the noise? Also it's not difficult to remove the drum and press more grease into the bearing cages to see if the noise goes away. Good luck.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Re: squeeking noise in rear wheel

well i jacked it up and spun the wheel it spins free with no friction, its the spring in the drum rubbing. not too worried about it i have breaks just have to end up doing it.

Comment

My Festiva did that same thing and it was a retainer spring. My Mustang did the same thing and it was also the spring.....probably too many burnouts, haha. I never understood why Fox Body Mustangs had rear drums. I hate drum brakes!

Comment

Re: squeeking noise in rear wheel

well maybe 20 minutes ago it just stopped squeeking.

Comment

Originally posted by B3Festiva View Post
                well maybe 20 minutes ago it just stopped squeeking.

For now. Folks that drive 20+ year old cars rarely play their stereos too loud. Typically they are instead awaiting some forewarning of the next calamity

Comment

Working...
                X