91, 5 speed melted piston!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91, 5 speed melted piston!

Car had excessive blo by and used oil. Did compression test with zero on #4 all others above 100. Removed head found the #4 piston melted just below the intake valve!! Melted area is the size of a quarter, has anyone run across this and what would cause problem. Have another engine and am in process of replacement but don't want to have this happen again.

I saw this happen before. A friends father was racing his porsche and the engine inhaled an intake bolt. It smashed between the piston and intake and melted it to the top of the cylinder. Not sure if thats what happened to you. But sounds similar. Wouldnt really explain the other dead cylinders tho
    91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Comment

hot spot or lean cylinder can do that over time
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^ X 2 I had that happen with a small V-8 ford. The injector was not dumping enough fuel into one of the cylinders and burned the edge of the piston away right down to the piston ring.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Possibly a dead injector

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
          X