F-150 Not Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-150 Not Starting

Ok, about year ago had some trouble with truck not starting now and then. Figured it was fuel pump. So son in law and I were going to change it on Sunday. So on Saturday, i figured I'd go ahead and change filter and have it out of the way. Now truck would not start at all at this point. So after I changed filter, truck started and continued starting from then on. When I emptied gas out of filter into glass jar, you could not see thru the gas. So every three months I changed filter and and just changed it month ago. Now Im having same problem. When I turn key on, you don't hear the pump come on. Then after about third -fourth try, you hear the pump and it starts. I will let it run and it keeps running til shut key off. Went back about 15min later and same thing. Im thinking that the screen on pump could be clogged up so this time I ordered new pump and going to put new one in. I will find out for sure once I get old pump out. Unfortunately, tank is 3/4 full so Im going to have to empty it out when I get it down cause I also want to clean tank out and will have to siphon gas out into cans. Has anyone every experience this before or do u you some thoughts on it. Would appreciate it. I also wrote a post on a ford forum but no one has said anything from there.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

F-150 Not Starting

I had a fuel pump go on my f-150. I was driving and the truck just shut off. I turned the key a few times nothing. I didn't hear the fuel pump. I clicked it a few more times cause I was in traffic pulling a trailer so I couldn't just push it out of the road. It finally started and I drove off. It ran fine for about another 100 miles then the fuel pump was done for good.

I use the truck all the time. I replaced the original filter about 10,000 ago but it didn't seem that bad. It was dirty but not filthy. I would try the pump. Aftermarket o.e. parts just aren't all created equal. I used the Bosch replacement. Seems to be working good for now.
    Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 12-16-2012, 06:22 PM.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Fuel like that can take out a pump. Tapping the bottom of the tank will sometimes make them go again.
      Pull the filler hose at the tank which you have to do any way if you are going to pull the tank. Use a jiggler
      siphon hose through where that fill hose was and fill your containers.

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Where I used to work we had Super Duty F550's of about that vintage.

There was some sort of liner stuff inside the tank that delaminated, causing all sorts of problems. Fortunately they were covered by Ford and new tanks were installed.

Problem solved.

Comment

ok, I'm a happy camper now. Who would have thought that a humming sound when you turn key on would make your day. Got my new fuel pump in today earlier than I thought and called my brother in law and he came up and him and I had to siphon gas out of tank cause it was full and then dropped the tank and put in new pump. Took us about two hours to complete it and before We put it back up we turned key on an the new pump just hummed away. Made my day. Truck back up and running and Im happy. Ty you guys for your feedback.
          Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
          93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Glad to hear you got it going.

Comment

F-150 Not Starting

F-150 for life!
              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Working...
              X