Snout Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snout Question

I bought a backup motor sight unseen off CL that was supposedly an '88. It had a carb setup but the snout has the narrow keyway like my late '93. I borrowed a crank bolt out of a '91 backup motor (to turn the motor over) and it is too short. I'm thinking that this is a late block with the crappy crank hub that must be removed to service the timing belt like on my '93. It also has a rarer hub that I will have to find. Another identifying feature is no bolt holes in sprocket. What year pulleys fit this setup?

Snout Question

It's possible somebody bought a 93' B3 and put it in the 88' at some point with swapping all the carb stuff over, it's hard to say for sure though

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

There's a lot of engine swapping going on. Our first '89 carbed Festiva had a "big nose" crank like your '93. All the '93 cars and a few of the late production cars from '92 have the big nose crank. If you can use parts off your '93 engine, you shouldn't need the "rarer hub". It should be on your '93 engine. If you're talking about the heavy plate that the pulley bolts to, that is called a pulley boss. You can buy those from a Mazda dealer. Tell them you have an MX-3 with a 1.6L engine and it will fit.
      You gonna race that thing?
      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

I think the start date (production) for the large nose crank was December 92.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

The PO kept the weird pulley setup for his BP swap. If it won't work on a BP let me know so I can get it back.

Comment

Working...
          X