2000 ford focus electrical issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 ford focus electrical issues

Ok, so I haven't been on in a long time... Long story... Anyway, sorry.... I have a focus that won't shift out of park no brake lights wipers won't work headlights won't work windows won't work (power of course) and its killing me having to take the gf to and from work daily. I replaced the ignition switch thinking the car didn't think it was running so it would allow these things to work. That seemed to fix the problem for a couple hours but now it's back! Any ideas? Also it all works intermittently so it's not a bunch of fuses. Also when the lights do turn back on the wipers turn themselves on briefly. Thanks.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Even though it's not a Festiva repair question, it still belongs in the repair help section

Thread moved

It sounds like it could be the PCM though if it controls all of the issues your talkin about
    Last edited by Damkid; 12-22-2012, 06:32 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Sorry about the wrong section thing. Like I said, I haven't been on in a while so I forgot the rules and such. Anyway, if it were the pcm wouldn't it throw an engine code or cause any issues with the engine? It starts and runs fine.
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:

Comment

There was a tsb regarding these problems and some others, years ago. There's a section of wire harness off of the battery positive that needs to be replaced.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
          There was a tsb regarding these problems and some others, years ago. There's a section of wire harness off of the battery positive that needs to be replaced.
          Great, I hope I can still have it done. Thanks for the information.

My Fleet:

Comment

tsb is not a recall, so you would foot the bill. Wouldn't hurt to look at underhood grounds and connectors that can deteriorate
            over time. If you know of any body repair look especially close at ground points, they do not work to good when bolted
            down on fresh paint. First check out Jim's tsb!
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The ford dealership seems to know nothing about this tsb. They say it may take hours at $95/hr to get to the bottom of it! You wouldn't happen to be able to find the tsb number could you? Funds are extremely low right now so I cant afford hours of diagnostics. Thanks
              Last edited by doylerl; 12-28-2012, 12:37 PM.

My Fleet:

Comment

Pm me the vin and I can do some research for you in the ford tech web
                Tim
                '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
                '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
                '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
                '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
                '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
                '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
                '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
                '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Comment

Sounds like a ground issue, there are ground bolts under the hood next to the battery on the drivers side that like to corrode at the eyelets due to leaking batteries. The battery cable that was mentioned was a recall at one point an it was to relocate to positive to keep it from rubbing. Probably not related if the car starts and runs
                  Tim

Previous Vehicles

Comment

Vin # pm'd. Thanks again.

My Fleet:

Comment

Just ran for tsbs ect, no related ones. Looked at wiring diagram, looks like fuse 32 in the interior fuse box is common with all of heae circuits and could be blown. Look at your license plate lamps in the rear and check to see if they look all dirty or corroded. Those can be shorted causing the fuse to blow
                      Tim

Previous Vehicles

Comment

In my chiltons manual it shows darn near every electrical system going through the central timer module located on the back of the fuse panel. Is there anything about that on there?

My Fleet:

Comment

Fuse 32 goes to the ctm, which controls the wipers and exterior lamps. Start simple. Do you have a 12 volt test light?
                          Tim

Previous Vehicles

Comment

02S42 RECALL...Jim was right!
                            02S41 RECALL

The above are recalls for Zetec engines, the battery harness gets
                            wiggles by the engines and loosens at the battery end or the other
                            end too I suppose. Fire hazard, it can rub holes in the pos cable

00S50 RECALL..Deck lid harness replacement. Same reasons as above
                            but at the rear of the car.

This was not brought up by your VIN so even though you might have the
                            same problem they will not cover it without a fight. Probably still not..

Your car has an unusually large number of recalls, campaigns and tsb's..just sayin..
                            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I wasn't saying Jim was wrong I just wanted to be able to bring in proof to the dealer that there was a known issue. I trust Jim, he's a good guy.

I already have the Ctm pulled out and another one on order. It was only $23 on eBay so I figured what the heck.
                              Last edited by doylerl; 12-29-2012, 12:08 AM.

My Fleet:

Comment

Working...
                              X