Automatic Aspires and cold weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Aspires and cold weather

Dumb question: Do any of you guys who own AT Aspires have any trouble getting them to go into gear during cold weather??

Have seen more that one around here(WV) that have had their shifters refuse to move below a certain temp. Was different for each car. Was thinking of buying a local Aspire. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanx.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

well it wouldn't be a trann selector arm prob. Most likely the cable on the shifter to the tran. Use a cable luber and shoot some cable lube into it if in doubt. Any part store should have one. A motorcycle shop would have one for sure. it is a block that is put on the end of the cable and forces lubercation between the cable and protective housing.

Comment

Could be, they all just seemed to do it at different temps. Am thinking of buying a 95 AT Aspire. Kind of wanted input from guys who have them. Thanks.

Need something to drive while I figure out what I want to do with the Batmobile.

Comment

I had one. Now I have a manual. Had no problems. If you heard of ppl having problems with it, My guess would be moister in the cable...

Comment

OK i know this one!!!!!
          first off i live in canada and it gets real cold not that cold like some of you guys in the us get where it just starts to freeze then melts when the sun hits the ground.
          here if you have 10 w 30 and a good battery and forgot To plug in it just makes a click sound.
          now that you can see i live where it is cold i Will try and shed some light on your question.

my 93 festiva has a auto and a safety switch / solenoid that you have to push in the brake to put it into gear.
          the only problem i had is from time to time that solenoid gets slow from the cod and i have to jump on the brake lightly with my foot to warm it up.
          so i took it out as i have no kids and see no need for this small added safety.
          as far as lube!!!!! use nothing more than wd40 as ALL others or most of them just turn into glue when they get cold.
          i had a friend that greased all his locks on his car and when winter came his car was locked solid.
          we had to use my heated shop and a can of carb cleaner to flush out ALL the grease.
          hope this helps.

shayne

Comment

ok well then in ur case where ur talking about constant subzero, then yeah I can see things like that happening, but consider this. Ford makes a car, they put a robust lil engine in it, and a crappy tranny with it. Most car manufactures recommend that you warm the engine up. For instans the mazda rotary, the seals go out premeturally cause drivers don't let the car warm up and cool down befor driving/shuting it down. An auto trann has rotating parts, therefor it will warm up from the engine running. for 2 according to my book the shift lock is inside the car.... the way I see it u have 2 options if it "freezes" and locks it from going into gear. 1: let the car warm up, 2:remove it. Some electrical grease inside of it would probably help it make connection a little better. As far as lube goes, I used a broad word, because I don't remember what cable lube is silicon spray I think. As far as grease goes good luck getting it in a cable.... And btw if I am not mistaken he is in West Virgina right? and that isn't as cold as you r used 2. I am in ohio those 2 are kinda more compariable....

Comment

dont get me wrong about lube.
              sometimes people use it and it causes more problems in the long run.
              I let my festiva warm up till the gage shows its warm but in real cold weather it would still stick after the car was warm inside.
              just my 2 cents
              i am no xpert and only offer advice from what i have run into.

shayne

Comment

hmmm odd wonder if it is not making good contact in the solenid i might have to take one apart and have a look

Comment

I dunno, I just know that 3 fairly new AT Aspires all did the same thing at different temperatures. It seemed no matter how long the cars were allowed to warm up, their repo switches had to be popped before they would move out of park. And we are only talking about temps around 15-25 degrees F.
                  May be moot discussion anyway, went and actually looked at the Aspire I was talking about, and I don't think I'll be buying that one. Looks like the wheels are the only part of that car that have not touched the ground. Ha.

Comment

auto transmission

ok, many troubles come from the wrong auto trans fluid, try to flush your transmission with oem fluid (ford one is mercon III) if you use replacement oil (mercon IV or V) you have the wrong type of fluid. on my aspire i change 3 time the oil before it run great (before i put my bp turbo on this little transmission)

http://www.fordfestiva.com/multimediaandfun/gallery/yvan/yvan's_bp_turbo_swap.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X