CARB ALTERNATOR SWAP WITH EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARB ALTERNATOR SWAP WITH EFI

The alternator went bad on my carb dd yesterday. he one thing i dont have 200 hundred of ! I do have 200 efi alternators thou !
    I remember seeing a post were sombody figured out how to swap them correctly !! Anybody remember ?
    New build on the way .

The efi alternators dont have the terminal for the wire going to electric choke on the carb. You will need to either convert to manual choke or to a more normal 12V electric choke used on other carbs. I also dont remember if the harness plug is same or not, you might have to change that. Maybe it was just alternator from other Mazdas that had different plug?

I personally have a Weber carb with water choke, and a 63A GM 10si alternator on my Festy. So just depends how involved you want to get in adapting. I know 10si alternators backwards and forwards and they are still the cheapest rebuilt alternator so tend to use them on everything possible when doing replacements. Just requires onetime making an adapter to mount it. Tight squeeze behind Festy engine, just barely enough room. But works fine.

Comment

The feedback choke uses 7 volts. You would have to hook it to a HOT KEY ON circuit somewhere, maybe the coil +. Then resistor it down to 7 volts.

Comment

i did it to Batstiva's car about 3 years ago... easy to rig and you should still have the feedback prong on the EFI alts to run the choke. if PU241 pipes up, i left the notes on how to do it in his FSM...
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Not worried with the choke !! There is the large hot wire and two small wires one black with red stripe and a black with white strip ! I hooked large wire up normal , then spliced black with red to the white with red on Efi plug (ignition hot ) and then the black with white spliced to the white with black on the Efi plug . ( seems to be no charge light wire )
          this seems to be working ! I will post any problems !
          New build on the way .

Comment

Working...
          X