93 5 speed festiva engine removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 5 speed festiva engine removal

I was looking all over the forum but couldnt find an answer, do I want to remove the engine and trransmisson(5 speed) as one piece or do I just want to remove the engine

Depends on what you want to do.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Lot easier to align engine and transmission outside of the car. Only reason to pull engine only would be if your axles don't come out easily.
      -Donny
      -1992 Festiva GL
      B6D/E-series.
      -1991 GL
      BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

If you're replacing the engine, then sure. You can just remove the engine. If you can get the crank pulley off beforehand, it may make things easier, but it's not necessary. Mating the engine to tranny inside car isn't too difficult so long as you're sure the clutch is centered.

Comment

I was going to rebuild the engine and it looks like i cant get to all the bolts around the bell housing because the intake and fuel rail is in the way. It seems like it would just be easiest to pull the engine and transmission at once, what have you guys done?

Comment

Drain all the fluids. Oil, coolant, and trans. Remove battery and air box and exhaust from the manifold.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I am doing 2 pulls and 1 install this weekend, I find it much simpler to just yank engine and trans as one unit.
              Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
              1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Disconnect fuel lines and rad/heater hoses. All electrical can be unplugged and set up by the brake booster. Hook up a picker and undo the 3 mounts.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by econoaddict View Post
                  I am doing 2 pulls and 1 install this weekend, I find it much simpler to just yank engine and trans as one unit.
                  I completely agree that it is easier to pull tranny and engine at the same time
                  Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                  Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                  Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                  WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Done it plenty of times, both ways. For a 5 speed I generally pull both together, but with an auto its simpler to me to pull the engine by itself if I don't need the trans out for any reason. Much quicker/easier/more room to work with the flex plate than it is with a flywheel and clutch. But with a 5 speed I do usually pull both together.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Thanks, I decided to pull both as one unit.

Comment

The shop manual says auomatics- can remove eng w/o trans, manuals- must remove them together. There are actually 2 seperate procedures in the manual. I think you would have trouble getting enough clearance side to side to get to input shaft of the trans out of the clutch assy. MAY be able to angle the engine enough- but looks like a pain.
                        186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
                        1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
                        1992 aqua L (agua)
                        1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

Originally posted by hot4dl8ly View Post
                          The shop manual says auomatics- can remove eng w/o trans, manuals- must remove them together. There are actually 2 seperate procedures in the manual. I think you would have trouble getting enough clearance side to side to get to input shaft of the trans out of the clutch assy. MAY be able to angle the engine enough- but looks like a pain.
                          I did my first festy engine change out by just pulling the engine alone, after removing all the parts to get just enough clearance I swore I would never do it that way again.
                          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Working...
                          X