How to remove rear bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove rear bumper

Ok, I am trying to remove the rear bumper so I can paint the cover. I did what everyone says to do, remove the two 14mm bolts on the interior, the two 14mm bolts underneath, and the two screws that fasten the cover to the fenders. No amount of pulling and prying will release the bumper from the car.

It acts like there are two bolts still attached, but I can't for the life of me find them, I already undid what I believe to have been the ones in the interior. The Haynes manual was no help at all.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-05-2013, 01:50 PM.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Theres also two 10's on the bottom attached to the braces that go to the unibody, it should break lose or want to even if those still happen to be on. I'd say keep trying to break it free, sometimes they can be stubborn being on for so long..
    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

These are the two interior bolts correct?

IMG_20130105_143432.jpgIMG_20130105_143445.jpg

Comment

I think 4 on the inside, 4 on the underside. Plastics need to be removed.
        -Donny
        -1992 Festiva GL
        B6D/E-series.
        -1991 GL
        BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Re: How to remove rear bumper

If memory serves me correctly u access two from inside hatch and two from inside tailight access panel. These two were very difficult to get to. My did not go back on.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
          93 L plus 5 speed, custom herculined paint job, custom billet grille

Comment

Re: How to remove rear bumper

Three. One inside the fender. Two on either side of the rear wall. You have to pull the rear plastics to access the two outer bolts. Leave the cover on. It comes off with the bumper.
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Torqueeffect, when you pull the bumper off, you will see it is held on by three M10 weld studs on each end of the bumper. There are two nuts you missed, each behind the interior plastic.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I knew I had to have missed something.

Comment

Working...
                X