Anyone replaced their HLA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone replaced their HLA?

I replaced mine today to solve my ticking problem.

Well, now the SOB won't stop ticking!

I pulled out the old ones. Filled up the rocker arm with oil. Pushed the new ones in.

I'm hoping maybe they just need to settle in and fill up with oil or something, but dang this is annoying. Sounds like my car is about to explode.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

if cleaning them doesn't work then all you need is an o-ring kit. Replace the o-rings on them and you should be good to go

Comment

Well I'm past the point of cleaning and o-rings.

I've got new ones in it.

I was just wondering if I put something together wrong or if it's normal for them to tick for a few miles afterwards (20 miles later it's still ticking).
      www.dantheoilman.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Uhh...

Dumb question, but what exactly is a HLA?

My car has the same ticking problem.

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

hydraulic lash adjuster.

I had one or two ticking on start up, auto-rx fixed it until the cold hit. So I bit the bullet and bought 8 new ones for about $90.

Now something just ain't right.
          www.dantheoilman.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Where is the HLA located?

Is it easily fixed/adjusted?

Regards,

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

it is the metal cylender in the rocker arm. One type is solid rocker it used a bolt and a nut to set valve lash, this type uses oil preasure, when ur seal is leaking it leaks oil preasure and the tappet bottoms out and causes clicking... correct me if i am wrong I am running on memory here lol

Comment

Tim,

If I remember correctly, yours is carbed? If so, we don't have HLAs (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters, or lifters). Our cam/rockers are mechanical, meaning we have a gap left between the valve tip and an adjusting screw on the rocker arm. Adjustment procedures are in the shop manual, if you have one. Even when properly adjusted, ours sound like sewing machines.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Yes, my Festiva (dubbed The Rolling Deathmobile by a friend today...) is carb'd.

Shows what I know about cars!!

Regards,

Tim
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

umm the more i think about it dan, i think you can take them out and take the o rings off and soak them in carb cleaner and put orings back on and put them back in. befor you do is there holes in them for oil?

Comment

that's ok Tim, my ex calls mine the "roller skate of death". I keep inviting her to drive it, but for some reason she's hesitant....

I still miss my ex, but aim is improving....
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

festivas and aspires don't have HLA's they have rocker arms.

only the b6-ze and bp-ze (and turbo variations) have HLA's
                        "><
                        Wil
                        02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
                        00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
                        05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
                        93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
                        96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
                        93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Shop manual calls out "HLA" as a replaceable part of the rocker arm. Its just integral instead of separate in the head.
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Yes there's holes in them for oil, but it's a very very very small hole.

I'm thinking maybe I didn't get a rocker arm or two lined up right. I have today off so I'll go look at it. =)
                            www.dantheoilman.com
                            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

I think there are several issues involved with these lash adjusters. They are prone to making a racket on start-up in cold weather because the oil is too thick to get up to them thru galleys that have gotten constricted over time/mileage with varnish and sludge. At least, my '93 only does that when it really gets cold, and adding Risolone helps. It always stops within 30sec or so.

So, Dan, just changing the adjusters may not solve the problem if you didn't clean the oil passages in the rocker arms and maybe the shaft too - clean as much of the oil passage as you can get to without pulling the head.

Also, when newly-installed, air or dirt may get trapped inside and not get pushed out, in which case they stay collapsed.

As far as the noise the carbed motors make, thinking of it as the noise of a proper British sports car may help appreciate it. Motors with manual adjusters are SUPPOSED to make a bit of noise. If they don't, it means no lash, and no lash without any hydraulic buffering yields burned valves from never closing completely. Of course you can have too much lash, but there should always be a bit of lash noise. That's why they're always adjusted along with a feeler gauge.

BTW, great quote!
                              Originally posted by FB71
                              I still miss my ex, but aim is improving....
                              (& Jim, if you see a black '88 around Chestertown - the neon green wiper arms came from Mook - that's my daughter.)

John

Comment

Working...
                              X