Fuel problem 93 1.3 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel problem 93 1.3 Festiva

I am trying to bring a car back to life after setting for a year or more. Odometer shows 201000 miles. To begin I changed what appeared to be the original fuel filter. There was no fuel in the tank so I put in
    about 1/4 tank by the guage. Checked plugs etc. and then attempted to start. Nothing but engine cranked without problem. Next after trying several starts I loosened the gas cap and got a nice hiss which indicated to me the fuel pump is working. Tried to start with fuel cap loosened. No start. Next, I shot carb cleaner into the pcv vacuum port connect on the intake manifold. Tried to start and got a sputter. More carb cleaner and got the engine to run for a second or two. Problem then is definately fuel. Any suggestions as how to proceed? Has anyone put a tee into the fuel system to check pressure? If so, where and can it be left there for the future? Anyway to test injectors? I am hampered on funds so I can't afford to guess and throw parts at it like I used to do. Seems it always the last part you try. Murphy's Law!
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

Also any body find a place that sells carpets for the floor?

It is interesting that the last part tried seems to be the one that fixes the car!
    Weird...My coffee cup broke on the last bounce...

Anything that moves in your fuel system could be stuck if the fuel dried out around those parts. Injectors, regulator and pump. Additionally rubber connectors in the tank can dry and split.

Try blocking the air flow meter open a bit, turn the key on and tap on the fuel pump exposed under the back seat and see if it takes off, tap on regulator if you can feel the pump running.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Jump the fuel pump connector, turn the key on and listen for fuel flow in the rail.

Comment

You may know this but in case you don't here are some things to think about:
        There are two fuel filters, the one you changed in the engine compartment and there is also a serviceable fuel filter screen located inside the fuel tank at the inlet of the fuel pump.
        The fuel system components are: the electric fuel pump, the pressure regulator, the fuel pump relay, fuel pump activation switch and the inertia fuel shutoff switch.
        The fuel pump has a check value located at the fuel pump outlet to keep pressure in the lines after the car is turned off (this helps prevent hot start problems).
        It also has a pressure relief valve which regulates the maximum outlet pressure. Normally you would relieve fuel pressure by letting the engine run, disconnect the fuel pump wires and let the engine die.

The fuel pressure regulator is on the return line at the end of the fuel rail and is controlled by manifold vacuum (supposed to maintain a pressure of 36.3 psi above the intake manifold pressure, so that when the intake manifold vacuum is low, pressure is increased in the fuel rail and vice versa.

The fuel pump switch is in the VAF (volume air flow) meter and if it's not working you will probably need a new VAF meter.
        The fuel pump relay is under the instrument panel (works in conjunction with the VAF and ignition switch) to control when the pump operates.
        The pump only operates when the ignition is in the cranking mode or the engine is running (air flow is detected by the VAF).
        The inertia fuel shutoff will cut power to the fuel pump in the event of a major collision (reset button near the top of the left rear shock).

I'm sure there are people who know a lot more than I do about this who will jump in here and give you some step by step
        diagnostic procedures to follow. First thing I would do is make sure you have a fuel supply to the fuel rail (it is pressurized) but
        be very cautious when working with fuel line connections. If you have fuel here, next step would be injector testing.

Anyone else want to jump in here?
        Last edited by 1990new; 01-14-2013, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Re: Fuel problem 93 1.3 Festiva

I agree with checking the fuel at the rail. Firstly, I would make sure there is power to the pump. I have found it less painful to check electrical BEFORE opening a fuel line

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk HD
          HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
          "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

y'all are forgetting the inertia switch!!!! you know, the one located directly below the left rear speaker....
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

1990new said inertia switch.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                1990new said inertia switch.
                he didn't say it....he typed it. Unless you talked to him and confirmed that he talked while typing....as I do sometimes. So he may have said it but from the info we have there is no way to know for sure.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                  The inertia fuel shutoff will cut power to the fuel pump in the event of a major collision (reset button near the top of the left rear shock).
                  He wrote it already.
                  In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                    He wrote it already.
                    lol
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I noticed that no one agreeded or disagreeded with my assertion that the pump was working based on a vacuum his when the fuel cap was loosened. I am going to take off the fuel filter outlet and see if I have any fuel up to there if it ever stops raining here. I wish I could get out of New Jersey. Thanks everyone for the discusssion, suggestions, etc.

Comment

The cap hiss is NOT an indication of pump operation, mearly that the tank was put into a state of pressure OTHER than atmospheric. If the fuel was colder than ambiant before being placed in the tank, it would expand, causing a hiss, and thusly, if the fuel was warmer than ambiant before being put in the tank, it would contract, causing a hiss.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You should double check the main power relay, under hood by battery. i had that issue with no fuel and that was the solution.
                          ;
                          www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                          rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                          '92 Festiva L M/T
                          '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Regarding the fuel pump operations...
                            Ever notice that if you have had the VAF meter wires disconnected when changing the air filter or whatever.. and you put it back together but forget to reconnect the wire: the engine will start but then immediately dies. This is because of fuel starvation. While the switch is on and you are turning the key to the cranking position, the fuel pump is activated, but then when the car starts and you release the key, there is no input from the VAF meter to the fuel relay to indicate that air is moving through it, so the fuel pump shuts off and the engine dies.
                            So if you get fuel flow when you turn the switch to the cranking position, your fuel relay (at least the part that detect the starting mode) is working, if your VAF wire is connected but the engine dies after you release the key, either your VAF meter is bad, a wire from the VAF meter to the fuel relay is bad, or the part of the fuel relay that detects input from the VAF meter is bad. The VAF meter is also critical to the efficient operation of EFI system.

Comment

Try a hammer.
                              I added gas to my tank in case the sender was wrong and got nothing. Hit the access panel in the floor with a hammer and presto!
                              ~Austin
                              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
                              X