a rough stinking start this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a rough stinking start this morning

went out to pre warm my car this morning before work, it turned over like normal but i heard the worst knock knock knock sound coming from it that id ever heard. the sound quit after 4-5 seconds, but it did really alarm me. it go me thinking today about a couple issues that could have caused it
    1. a sticking fuel injector-if my injectors were sticking just a little bit, even if that was possible, and this provided a considerable amount less fuel, i could see some combustion knock happening. im not the most familiar with the sound of combustion knock, but ive heard it refered to a hammer hitting and i guess it sounded similiar to that.
    2. a valve sticking because im running a higher mileage vehicle. ive maintained this motor flawlessly since ive had the car, so i doubt neglect be the issue. but maybe the higher (190k) mileage valvetrain has some worn out valve guides, maybe some other components causing a little sticking.
    3. when id replaced my stock manifold with my frankenstien piece that id built, and then later installed it back on the car, i have not since then gone in the retighten the mani bolts/studs. maybe im getting a little cold joint exhaust leak, but i doubt this could be cured in the 5 seconds that i noticed the sound.

So after work i went to autozone to buy some dreaded car medication.
    i came home with

STP Oil Treatment fights friction to help protect against engine wear. This high-viscosity formula, complete with anti-wear agent ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate), is specifically formulated to help fight metal-to-metal friction and helps reduce oil consumption.Find the TREATMNT OIL STP 15 OZ at Ace.

stp oil treatment

HEETŪ GAS-LINE ANTIFREEZE – THE ONLY WAY TO PROTECT against temperature extremes and water in your gas line. The health of your cars and outdoor equipment depends on the quality and concentration of your anti-freeze. With HEETŪ products pumping through your engine’s veins, you’ll always be saf

heet, premium fuel line antifreeze

lucas fuel treatment

Were these good choices of things to buy to preserve my car for more good sounding starts?
    i was thinking maybe there was some water in my gas, which seems to be a common issue in the winter for some reason. at least thats what my dad always told me when he put heet in my fuel sometimes. what if the water had frozen up my injector and it only took a couple seconds to break that loose.

lucas fuel treatment. thats kinda like upper cylinder lude. which could help with valve guide sticking, and maybe even clean up the valve seats, idk if thats even possible. but maybe itll help lube up my injectors too.

stp motor treatment. stuff came out of the bottle like cold honey. they advertised on the back of the bottle that it was to prevent the motor from dry starts, which i could see happening on a cold morning due the high thicker cold oil. and provides extra lube protection all over the motor, who could complain about that.

thats all i can type right now. anyone have any inputs on my buys. or my diagnosi. hope this was a fun read for someone.
    b

My guess would be a rod knock....until the oil started to flow and take up the clearance. How cold is it down your way?
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Maybe a little chunk of carbon came off and landed on one side of the piston. Every time the piston came to the top it squished the carbon into the head and made the piston slap the cylinder wall hard..like a hammer. After a few times of this the carbon broke up and went out the exhaust.

Running cleaner through the fuel will clean carbon in the intake valve area and a little of the intake side of the piston. This stuff you are using will not clean the intake and throttle body. It wouldn't hurt to clean these area's. If the car doesn't do this noise again for the next few starts I would really consider this. If it does repeat the noise every time you start then look for mechanical damage.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

My car tends to make some noise on really cold mornings (between 0-20 degrees) and she will "tick" for about 30seconds-1minute. I have found that mine is a bad rocker arm. I had to replace one 2 years ago and it fixed the problem.
        Matt
        -96 Aspire - 175k miles
        -93 F150 XLT - 109k miles
        -13 Focus SE - 7k miles

Comment

lately its anywhere as cold as 25f. not alot colder than that though.

Comment

If an HLA bleeds down, it can make a pretty severe knocking sound (as opposed to a tick) until the oil gets flowing and pumps it up. The question is, what speed is the knock...crank speed or 1/2 crank speed?

25F is not very cold. I thought you were going to say single digits or below zero.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

ive only noticed it once the car runs on its own. ill have to pay more attention to the cranking noises

Comment

Working...
              X