Engine Ticking Under Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Ticking Under Load

I really hate posting things instead of figuring them out on my own. But this one has me officially stumped. Just last week (1/8/13) I was driving into work when i noticed my alternator wasn't charging. Actually, poorly charging. Enough so the light wouldn't come on, but not enough so my lights were dim. So, with it being below freezing and 5:30 in the morning, i figured whatever, its the original one, run it, its only a few more miles into work where I'll have light to see what the problem might be. So, when i got to work, I opened the hood, only to discover everything covered in oil. I mean everything. Oil seeping out of the alternator and a soaked belt were the cause for it not charging. Now....where did all this oil come from. I tracked it down the the front seals (cam and crank) So a replaced those. When putting the timing belt back on, i made sure that nothing moved. Oil cleaned up, everything back together. The alternator is noisy, but it still charges. (sounds like a turbo whine)

Now, for my question. Ever since this, my motor makes a ticking noise when a load is on it. Its silent when the car is in neutral or the clutch is pushed in. It only ticks when I'm accelerating. The greater the load, the louder the tick. Doesn't matter if its at 4500 rpm or 1500, it still does it. It sounds sort of like an HLA, but wouldn't that make a noise regardless? I'm at a loss here, and we rely on this car everyday (sort of the family car) Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

exhaust leak... i have no doubts.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

At least thats a place to start. You know how it is.... to dark when i go into work and when i get home. And its always to cold to do anything. lol. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
      1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Comment

Check your timing. It could be too much advance.

Comment

That was another thing i was thinking. Its been to cold to really check anything. I didnt notice and soot trails or anything along my exhaust, so im kinda thinking its something else. Hopefully it will warm up one of these days.

Comment

And the winner is.... bravekozak. To Much advance. Thanks for the help guys, the knock is gone.

Comment

Working...
            X