want to replace passenger door lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to replace passenger door lock

I want to replace the passenger side door lock. If I get one from I junk yard do I have to have to keys that go with the replacement lock or do I have to re-key it, or can I use the key I currently have?

if you want to use the keys you have, take the "new" lock AND the old lock to a smith and tell him that you'd like the "new" lock to match the code on the old lock (re-keyed).

sometimes, if your realy lucky, your old key will work the new lock without any fuss.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      if you want to use the keys you have, take the "new" lock AND the old lock to a smith and tell him that you'd like the "new" lock to match the code on the old lock (re-keyed).

sometimes, if your realy lucky, your old key will work the new lock without any fuss.
      There is a lot of truth in this now that these cars are old and worn. Any Festy key (I have 3 of these cars and 5 different sets of keys) will open the driver's door and turn the ignition on one of my cars.

Comment

You should also install some power locks, $30-$40 kit off ebay.
        Best upgrade I have done to my festy thus far.

Not hard to install, just requires a couple holes to be drilled into the doors to mount the actuators.
        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

The pass. door lock will be the least worn lock on your car, so there is less chance your old key will work on it. But you might get lucky. One of my former Festys (Casper) had a key that would open any Festy and start about half of them.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Spray WD-40 liberally into all your locks and work the keys around in them to clean and lubricate.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I bought new locks from Advance Auto Parts. I believe they were manufactured by Mazda. They come in pairs with keys. Try part #DL47080. I just typed this part # into Advance' site and it didn't show up. You can use this part # for other stores however. They're ~$43.

Comment

Working...
              X