B6T blowing out spark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6T blowing out spark?

I have b6T that I am running on 91 @ 15 psi with reich racing ecu. I have been running this for quite a while now. It had a full exhaust system until the other day. I took it off to make my own. Now I spool instantly and if I do full throttle runs it will pop and backfire and bog out. Any ideas what's going on?
    Ford Fester

Re: B6T blowing out spark?

Is it still running 15 psi or is it spiking? A vj14 with open exhaust will spike out of control...there's not enough flow through the wastegate to control boost.

Otherwise...regap your plugs. .030" max
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Correct !! But isn't it to much flow through ??
      i put 2.5 exhaust on mine and had these same problems with over boost spikes . I really had to watch things !
      New build on the way .

Comment

Silly people and their itty bitty ihi churbos.

Max did April have my baby yet?
        -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

B6T blowing out spark?

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          Is it still running 15 psi or is it spiking? A vj14 with open exhaust will spike out of control...there's not enough flow through the wastegate to control boost.

Otherwise...regap your plugs. .030" max
          ^^this FTW

when I first got my KL turbo'd I couldn't go WOT passed 4k rpm because the spark plug gap was too big, re-gapped to .030" and problem solved

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

tighten up max! had the same thing happen to me. what plugs are you running? did u go a step or two colder now that your at 15psi?
            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Original plugs and wires! Haven't even pulled a plug yet. This b6t is untouched other than the religiously document oil changes. I have zero spike. Full throttle in 4th or 5th is 15 and it holds is smooth. It used to be 14 in 1st and 15 in second and third. I had spikes but then played with the turboxs hpbc and now it's perfect. Since spark is blowing out I can't get full boost in the first 3 gears unless I ease into it. 100k on original plugs is that too much to ask?
              Last edited by Ford Fester; 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM.
              Ford Fester

Comment

Do tell us what the gap is when you pull them.
                Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Original plugs? Oh dear... yeah, definitely get to work gapping a new set as soon as you can!
                  1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Run NGK v-power, and tighten the plug gap a few thou from the tight spec in the book. These engines are picky when it comes to plugs. You may want to go 1 heat range colder if you plan on long full boost pulls.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

ngk bkr7e (4644) is what I was running
                      -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

It had autolite platinum plugs with a 50 thou gap. Must have replaced before but they are old looking
                        Ford Fester

Comment

Re: B6T blowing out spark?

That's horrible. Not only was the gap way out of spec but they were platinums too!
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I'm better she will like the copper v power plugs that I will install tomorrow
                            Ford Fester

Comment

Spark plugs fixed it.
                              Ford Fester

Comment

Working...
                              X