transmission gears are weird and out of place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission gears are weird and out of place

This is my first festiva, I bought a 93 festiva L that had a bad clutch, then paid a mechanic to fix it. 1st gear feels to high, but is the lowest out of the 5. 3rd gear is lower than 2nd. 4th and 5th seem alright. Reverse is the lowest gear i have. When im in first gear it feels to high, like it could be 2nd. This makes it very hard to take off on even a small hill, and impossible if there is a heavy load in it. I have to slip the new clutch alot to take off on a hill. Are all festivas like this? Is mine weird or is something hooked up wrong. any help would be appreciated. im trying not to destroy the new clutch. i want to make the car enjoyble to drive.

I have seen a lot but not this particular problem. Maybe another has.
    But, if you are certain about the ratio abnormality the only place to look that comes to mind would be the shift linkage. More specifically the way these transmissions transfer shift selection through fulcrums and internal linkage to the forks. This area is a weak spot where the brackets crack and requires repair. If this had happened to your car and the linkage was mixed up it might explain why you bought the car with a bad clutch.

Again, I have not seen this and cannot say it is even possible to mix up the internal linkage but given what you have said I would try to verify your observations before dis-assembly or installing another transmission.

Your clutch installer is not guilty of anything that I can see except not bringing this to your attention.

Welcome, stick around to share pics and fun times!
    Last edited by Movin; 01-18-2013, 01:04 PM.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

mine sounds high in first and i change to second at 15mph and 3rd at 25mph and 4th at 40mph and 5th at 50-55 mph.
      ;
      www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
      rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
      '92 Festiva L M/T
      '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Lol... Sometimes I take 3rd to 65, 4th to 85, and hit 5th just as the needle bottoms out. B3 POWER! I think it's caused by driving 4-speed Festys for years. However this one likes to fly through first unlike any other B3 I have ever owned. I can be rolling at 8mph in first, put my foot down, and spin the tires clear through the shift into 2nd...

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
        1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
        1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
        1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
        1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
        1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
        1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by TheresGabe View Post
          Lol... Sometimes I take 3rd to 65, 4th to 85, and hit 5th just as the needle bottoms out. B3 POWER! I think it's caused by driving 4-speed Festys for years. However this one likes to fly through first unlike any other B3 I have ever owned. I can be rolling at 8mph in first, put my foot down, and spin the tires clear through the shift into 2nd...
          You'd love turbo Festivas. Just putting it out there.
          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
            You'd love turbo Festivas. Just putting it out there.
            I had a B6T, but I also had a mechanic to help me...

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
            1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
            1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
            1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
            1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
            1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
            1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
            X