OBD II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD II

How do i switch to OBD II on my BP set up?
    91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
    Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
    Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

OBD II

Find an OBD2 donor car

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

And? just plug and play?

Comment

Or is there more to it than that?

Comment

This makes me wonder, if it is easy to upgrade a B3 Festy to OBD2?

Just swap the computer and harness out of a late model Aspire? Or are there missing sensors?
          Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-19-2013, 10:28 PM.
          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

better to get a miata harness... Aspire harness' have EGR provisions and won't like a BP swap at all, hell, it doesn't even like a b6 swap. a miata ECU may be more plug and play than anything else, BUT, you need to add a crank sensor and after cat o2 sensor among other things....

simple answer is this: WHY? if you are OBDI now, go with a standalone unit, you'll have more control and will net better power and MPG.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I wasnt sure how hard it would be, thats all.

Comment

OBD2 is simply a faster, more standardized version of its predecessor. However, OBD2 requires more inputs than are available on a stock Festiva. Things such as fuel rail pressure sensors, EGR sensors, knock sensors, intake air temp sensors, and vehicle speed sensors are not factory options on our older cars(at least as far as I know). You could probably find a way to run an OBD2 ECU with your BP, but there would be no way of eliminating your check engine light for sensors that do not exist on your vehicle. IMO, switching to obd2 would be pointless unless you have to do it for legal reasons (Installing newer model engine in older vehicle). Most people enjoy pre-OBD2 vehicles because they don't have to deal with the more-or-less useless emissions equipment. The only benefit you would get I suppose, would be the ease of checking sensor inputs with an external computer for diagnostic purposes. Even so, the cost of the scan tool you would require would outweigh your entire vehicle tenfold to do something you could easily do yourself with a $10 voltage testing meter from harbor freight.
                2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
                1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
                1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Upgrade is to switch to OBD 1 generally, you can get away with egr delete, bigger cams, if we had some!! things like that. OBD2 gives a little more information that you really don't need.. The kind of info and control we want is what FestYboy is talking about.

EDIT ! Smokes! ^^^ nice write!
                  Last edited by Movin; 01-19-2013, 10:53 PM.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Ok, well i guess im confussed. How do i tell what i already have?...

Comment

If you plugged everything into an ecu that was in a car pre-96' you have an OBD1 system and should keep it that way if your not having issues with your current setup.
                      2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
                      1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
                      1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Ok, then thats what i believe i have. Now my next question is, is it possible to "reflash" my ecu and get more power out of it? I dont have to do any emissions testing or anything here so im not worried about that.

Comment

No..no reflash. If you want re-calibrated controls change the info going in!
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

ok, whats the difference between re-flash and recalibrate? and how do i recalibrate it?

Comment

Not sure how the Mazda OBD-II is designed, but one nice thing about the OBD-II on other Fords is the ability to custom tune. On something like my '04 GT, I can use my SCT handheld to accommodate pretty much any mods...from simply shutting off the rear O2 sensors and adjusting for gears to transmission functions. Fuel and timing curves can be tuned for simple mods like cam swaps to 400+ RWHP forced induction. Engine functions can be data logged and emailed to custom tuners and the new tunes emailed back to me. I can then download from my PC into the handheld tuner, plug it into the OBD port and reflash the ECU in just minutes.
                              It would be awesome to be able to do that on a Festy and not have the need for a stand alone management system.
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X