Ignition Module---Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Module---Please Help!

I am still trying to get my brother in laws festiva up and going...he raplaced the coil and that wasn't it...I was wondering (and praying) if someone on here has a picture of the igntion module, and where it is located...Please help!

Thanks,
    Gabe

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

I thought "West" has already replaced it .The module
    or are you talking about the ignitor ,next to the coil,little black square lookin electronic device.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

good question....

OK heres what I know....simple terms since I don't know the correct terms, and it's on his car...My aspire is completely different. OK...the center wire to the distributor hooks to a little black thin that bolts to the fender. the yellow/greenstripe wire (there is also a black ground) that goes from there to the distributor is not getting a continuaty reading. there is power at the point that it receives, but not on the distributor end. well we skinned the wire, and used a jumper wire and it still wasn't getting power from one side to the other. He replaced the black peice where the wire comes from and it didn't help...I need to know what the yellow green wire goes to.

Comment

again

what i meant is if there is something in the middle between where the harness that holds that yellow/green stripe wire and where it hits the distributor? from the wiring diagram we have been looking at in the haynes manual there isn't anything else. So we are assuming it now has to to be the ignition module.

Comment

There is a module inside the distributor, I just had this problem with a Mazda Protege. It would not start, it ended up that module, I just replaced the distributor with one from the junkyard. There is also the igniter it is on the bracket that holds the coil. It is a small square thing (about an inch) with a connector on it. My problem was the car had fuel pressure, it had spark, but the injectors wouldn't fire. The car would fire on ether (starting fluid), but wouldn't start because it wasn't getting the gas.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

spark trouble

I am currently trying to track down an intermittent spark problem on my '89 carbed 4 speed. The other morning on my way to work I was traveling down the road at 60 mph and it just shut off with no warning. Thought at first timing belt, but checked OK. Then messed with wires on coil and started next try. Same thing after work. Just out of the parking lot and BOOM shuts off! This time a little more investigative work turns up no spark from the coil until the keys is turned to off position.?? And then it was just one spark. Turn the key off and spark. After a couple of times like that, the coil starts sparking again replaced coil wire and it fired right up. Good ever since then. Also had this problem when we pulled it out of the guys woods it was sitting in for 2 years. Thought it was just minor from sitting but not sure now. Thinking either ignition module or ignition switch. Kev
            '89 fixer upper

Comment

Random stalling can be a symptom of a failing ignition control module. Take it out and take it to a parts store that tests them for free. Also read the file on ICM's at www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Cars.htm. I've had two replaced on my carburetted '89. I took the car in to the dealer for stalling before the first one went. Was told it was "transitory" so they couldn't diagnose it. They never tried testing the ICM. I used to pull over the the side of the road and go for a walk, then come back and it would start. Maybe it needed to cool off. Finally the car wouldn't start. I had it towed to the local garage. They had a hard time diagnosing the problem because they couldn't get it started. They said it might be the ICM and could try a new one at about $250. That solved the problem but they put the new one on dry and it didn't last. When I put the third one on I used dielectric heat transfer grease and have had not problems with it. There is only one source of the ICM's but if you call around you can get prices all over the map.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
              X