please help, i think i blew it up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help, i think i blew it up

So first, its a 93 1.3 5 spd fuel injected festiva.
    BEFORE WE BEGIN, EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID SO please lets just stick to helping me fix the cars problem cuz theres no fixing the stupidity i brought to the table that day.
    So i'm hauling butt home so the wife would quit chewing me out. I was dropping from 50mph to 35mph by using the clutch and dropping gears. my driveway came up so at 35 i put it in 1st gear and dumped the clutch, wich of course as anyone who's blown and engine before could tell you, i heard a quick rev, pop, then it died so I let it coast in cuz i knew i screwed up bad. when i got to my garage, I tried to start it. it turned over like this, rrr,pop,pop, rrr,pop, rr,pop, pop, rrr, pop, rr, pop, pop rr. but if i floored the pedal then let up then floored then let up it would run obviously still popping and such. then I went to turn it over again and belt the battery was dead. once I replaced the battery and removed the top timing cover to see if I skipped a tooth or two on the timing belt. the belt felt very snug and from what i could see everything seems ok but rrr, pop, pop rr, pop rrr, pop, pop,etc... there is NO oil leaking into the radiator NOR is there any antifreeze leaking into the oil. so could i have possibley revved to high and screwed up the afm? or could i have broken the cam? maybe destroyed distributor , or possibly burnt a valve? blew a head gasket? would checking the trouble codes help me at this point or should i just start tearing it down? I came in the house hung up the keys then internally bawled myself to sleep and i haven't done anything but look down the timing belt area and checked the oil and antifreeze. Please, I want my car back cuz riding the old lady to work everyday is really sucking. it costs me breakfast and a damn redbull everydamn day now please tell me what to do next before i go i go to broke from redbulls to fix my festy.

Sounds like she's a scrapper. Referring to the Festiva, not your wife
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

NEVER lol is it that expensive to rebuild? from bottom up or not worth it?

Comment

Re: please help, i think i blew it up

I would start by putting a wrench on the cam drive and turn it. If any major internals are broke you will hear it.
        HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
        "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Pull the valve cover. My guess is you dropped a valve down on a piston. You'd need to pull the head to fix it, maybe even a new piston. Don't run it anymore.
          '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Then drain oil and trans fluid looking for metal
            HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
            "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

I would bet on a bent valve. Pull plugs and run a compression check. This is the easiest and less messy way to eliminate or point to where the damage happened.
              Not sure how you got into low gear at 35 MPH. If you had to do that I would think you should also do a good brake job when you fix the engine.
              Best of Luck

Comment

Bigelcat and oldgeezer sounds like a winner!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I thought the b3 was a non interference motor?? How would the valve hit the piston ?
                  Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                    I thought the b3 was a non interference motor?? How would the valve hit the piston ?
                    You are correct... B3 is non-interference.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

please help, i think i blew it up

Originally posted by dwellfrosis View Post
                      BEFORE WE BEGIN, EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

But worst case, find a B3 from here for cheap and swap it out, the last B3 I changed took me 4-1/2 hours start to finish

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

First, Dwell, where are you located??? we may have a member close to you to help.

Second, let's walk through the basics. I'm going to say that i very much doubt a valve issue as the PRIMARY issue (i've reved stock festys well past 8k with no issues).

1) we need to verify PROPER cam timing (by hand)
                        2) we need to make sure you haven't damaged any internals (pull plugs, rotate engine by hand and feel for compression etc.)
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The B3 is a non-interference motor until a valve keeper pops out and the valve drops out of the spring.

Pull the valve cover; look for a loose valve spring. I wouldn't spin it any more, until you look for a loose valve spring.

You might get away with replacing a valve and valve guide. More likely you'll need a rebuilt head, and maybe a used piston.

It could just be a belt jump, like Festy is suggesting. Check the cam timing marks.
                          Last edited by BigElCat; 02-17-2013, 10:09 PM.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Just find a used motor at this point. Here's one on ebay for $600 with free shipping. I'm sure you can find them much cheaper if you look around:

Comment

You pick it up, $100 until sale ends here, includes all Mazda 4 cylinders and no I can't right now!!

Down shifting while pissed, a thing called valve float will cause interference in all engines and Rotaries will blow Apex seals..
                              Last edited by Movin; 02-17-2013, 11:01 PM.
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                              X