Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 ford festiva fuel pump????

the car is a 1989 carbureted festiva and these are the problems...i think:

1. i smell fuel under the hood and in the car when sitting still for to long.
    2. the car idles weird up and down from 400-800
    3. when i put my hand under the fuel pump i feel air coming from it and if i hold my finger where the air is coming from long enough fuel or oil (smells strong of fuel) accumulates on my hand.
    4. over the course of and oil change i'm loosing a quart or two and i'm not leaking or burning.
    5. theres a weird stumble in second and third gear around 2600-2800 rpms.
    6. the car feels gutless. (could just be the feel of an 89 carbureted festiva)

first: just replace the fuel pump then see if your other problems remain

as for the oil loss between changes , it can be normal for an engine to burn a quart or two between changes even if you do not see it out of the tail pipe

Comment

yeah i'll replace the pump tomorrow, but it just seems like alot of oil to be going through--jeremie

Comment

how many miles are on it???????

Comment

Comment

The mechanical fuel pump is a known trouble area on the Festiva. I replaced mine a few years ago for about $35.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

yeah i bought one today for $41.00 after tax from an advance auto parts. seem to have fixed the stumbling through second and third, there is no fuel smell, and its not leaking fuel anymore. what were other problems these pumps caused?

Comment

Working...
              X