No announcement yet.

'88 Ford Festiva - Wierd Ignition Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far, this little Festiva is still running very well at 25° Above TDC.

I have tried every recommendation that each one of you has offered, but
    so far this car will not run well, and has no acceleration when I set it "by the book" at TDC.

Yet it still runs perfectly when set at 25° Above TDC.

Question - Since it runs fine, although set way off of textbook timing, should I just leave it as is, and not worry about it?

Thoughts?
    Doug "MountainLion"
    1988 White Festiva "L" named "Excalibur"

Comment

Doug,

I am dealing with this issue myself. The problem is likely that the key which locates the crankshaft timing sprocket is sheared and hence it is out of position by about 25 degrees. OR the keyway of the crankshaft is wallowed out to the same degree.

You will only see this when you set the engine to TDC with the #1 cylinder itself (I remove the spark plug and insert a wooden dowel while 'rocking' the crank to get it to TDC).
      White '88, 280kmi, Weber 32/36 DGEV Carb with Rocketman Carb Adapter

Comment

Originally posted by 95Compact View Post
        Doug,

I am dealing with this issue myself. The problem is likely that the key which locates the crankshaft timing sprocket is sheared and hence it is out of position by about 25 degrees. OR the keyway of the crankshaft is wallowed out to the same degree.

You will only see this when you set the engine to TDC with the #1 cylinder itself (I remove the spark plug and insert a wooden dowel while 'rocking' the crank to get it to TDC).
        95compact is correct, never trust the marks to be completely accurate and sometimes they can be off enough to matter. One more thing, did you check that your disty is actually advancing? The engine while driving likes 28 to 40 deg of advance down at your altitude. If you are not advancing, or advancing much 25 is just getting you at the threshold of good running. As long as you are not bucking the starter it will not hurt anything. If you are for real nearing 45 deg of advance while running at your altitude you may be at the ragged edge, listen for ping.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Sorry, did not notice age of thread. Re-posted same advice.
          Can't find "delete" button.
          Last edited by WmWatt; 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sheesh....

I just had to!
            Last edited by drddan; 06-26-2013, 02:12 PM.
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
            X